Slow SMTP Sending

Percy

Verified User
I used to have PSA on my server, and my server would take a long time to send mail through SMTP. By editing the xinetd.conf file, I was able to add -R for qmail which stopped the reverse lookup. This worked wonders and my messages would send almost immediately.

I have tried a couple different things for DirectAdmin, not with any success. Does anyone have some more knowledge in exim/vm-pop3d to help me out here?

Thanks,

-Percy

Hello,

To disable reverse lookup on all hosts making a connection to exim, simply comment out the line:

host_lookup = *

by adding a # in front of it (in the /etc/exim.conf), then restart exim:

service exim restart

Hope this helps,
John

Still Slow

It still seems to be slow, taking up to a minute or even more to send an e-mail. Have tried with the following settings:

- SMTP Login: Use same login as POP3
- SMTP Login: Login to POP3 before
- SMTP Login: none

The last one gives me a system administrator e-mail error saying it can't relay, which is what I would expect. However, it is still slow. My Plesk server sends the e-mail instantly, with SMTP authentication.

Thanks for any help,

-Percy

Hmm... that's interesting. You might send us your ip/root pass, as well as admin/admin pass so we can test it out and see where the slowdown is... You might try telneting to see if the slowdown is being caused by the lack of a connection...
Code:
telnet 1.2.3.4 25
and see how long it takes to connect.... not too sure.

John

Back