FrontPage extensons issue... please clarify

nhouse

Verified User
Hello Everyone...

I have searched the forum and haven't found a definate answer to the following issue. Please share your insight with me as we have a client who is quite worried about it. The problem is as follows:

After setting up a new client and waiting for the domain to propagate, our client is able to publish properly to the main web area... however, when he tries to utilize the FP management and permission tools, he gets messages saying that "fpadmcgi.exe and admin.exe" are missing. These utilities are pretty important to some people to manage their web authors, user access and the like. Is there a fix for this? When the extensions are applied, doesn't DA copy all of the extensions and tools?

Thanks for your help!
Randy @ CCSI

Hi John...
Thanks for the reply. The FP extensions "work" for publishing it seems. The problem comes with using the administrative features... creating "child webs" administrating FP authors and the like. I would have thought that the install routine would simply copy these exe's to the proper locations and that would be it. I am definately not a guru on PF, especially on how these files are distributed on install... however, we do have some clients that this will be important to. Actually, I have one who is asking about it right now. Thanks for responding to this and if you or anyone else can shed some light... please do.

Anyone know a fix?

Thanks!!!

Do you know of any Linux fpx implementations that implement the management features? I don't.

My understanding is that .exe programs run on Windows, and not on Linux.

Of course I could be wrong :rolleyes: .

Jeff

Hello,

I have a client with similar problems ...

Figured the extensions got mucked somewhere ... so we deleted the account and started fresh .. here is the results

Still didn't work. It seems that I can upload the main domain website, but it errors out on the subdomains.

I also tried uploading each of the subdomains (after creating them on DA) to their individual directories (ie www.DOMAIN.com/whoa), but when FP tries to create a web at that location it comes back with the error:

"404 Not Found
Not Found The requested URL /_vti_bin/_vti_adm/admin.exe was not found on this server. Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. Apache/1.3.29 Server at www.DOMAIN.com Port 80"

It seems DA cannot handle uploading of FP subdomains.

I have checked several times ... the file it refers to is on the server

Any help is appreciated as always ...

Thanks,
HostPC.com

Hello,

Jeff: they use exe files for both.. in the case of linux, it could care less about the extension as long as it has +x.

I'm wondering if fp is trying to access
/home/user/domains/domain.com/public_html/subdomain/_vti_bin/_vti_adm/admin.exe
as oppsed to
/home/user/domains/domain.com/public_html/_vti_bin/_vti_adm/admin.exe

the 2nd link is what it should be doing.. the admin.exe (for most cases) does not need to exist as the cryptic magic of frontpage will send apache to
/usr/local/frontpage/version5.0/exes/_vti_bin/_vti_adm/admin.exe

If it isn't, you could try copying admin exe from the last link to the true apache link to see if it helps any. (Would need to add an .htaccess with

Options +ExecCGI
AddHandler cgi-script .exe

John

Back