Exim Logs - exim_mainlog & rejectlog

Yikes2000

Verified User
I'm using the latest DA-Exim (4.34), which includes SpamBlocker. My exim_mainlog contains 'rejected RCPT' entries that are duplicated in exim_rejectlog. Is that correct? If so, is there any way to block 'rejected RCPT' entries from exim_mainlog? I tried to change log_selector in exim.conf to no avail:

log_selector = \
+delivery_size \
+sender_on_delivery \
+received_recipients \
+received_sender \
+smtp_confirmation \
+subject \
-connection_reject \
-smtp_incomplete_transaction \
-dnslist_defer \
-host_lookup_failed \
-queue_run \
-rejected_header \
-retry_defer \
-skip_delivery

BTW, when and how are exim_mainlog and rejectlog being rotated? (My system is FreeBSD 4.10.)

Thanks.

Yikes2000 said:
I'm using the latest DA-Exim (4.34), which includes SpamBlocker. My exim_mainlog contains 'rejected RCPT' entries that are duplicated in exim_rejectlog. Is that correct?
Correct.
If so, is there any way to block 'rejected RCPT' entries from exim_mainlog?
Not that I know of. I do know that you can ask on the exim_users mailing list, and that you can even ask there for a new feature, though whether or not you'll get it depends on what Dr Hazel thinks of your idea.

You can find a lot of Exim support at http://www.exim.org.
BTW, when and how are exim_mainlog and rejectlog being rotated? (My system is FreeBSD 4.10.)
On my RHL and RHEL systems they're being rotated weekly. This can be configured through logrotate.

$ man logrotate

and look at /etc/logrotate.conf

Jeff

Log rotation on FreeBSD is done through /etc/newsyslog.conf. I didn't see Exim in it (although sendmail and maillog are). Since Exim was installed by DA, I thought DA would have log rotation for Exim. (Or perhaps Exim does it itself - but www.exim.org doesn't say so). Anyhow, it looks like I will have to do it myself. Odd though, because this means that default FreeBSD DA servers have no log rotation for Exim. There must be some huge log files. Hm....

I am getting 8MB per day of exim_rejectlog (mostly from spam, thanks to your exim_config :)), but I've only moved two sites onto this server! After a few more sites, exim_rejectlog could be insanely large. Can I turn off 'rejected RCPT' logging entirely? I don't see the need for it beyond initial setup and debugging.

Back