550-Verification failed for ....

cbooth7575

Verified User
Hi there,

I've searched and have found similar problems, but I don't think anything quite the same.

I've got a new DA install......so I'm in the process of moving my domains over to my machine, from a reseller account on a cPanel machine....I'm liking everything so far.

I am having a problem though, and I suspect it might be related to me moving domains.

I have a domain (velosophy.com) set up in both systems, for the interim, while the DNS transfer takes place. When I send an email from the cpanel webmail for [email protected] to my own account on my DA machine ([email protected]) I get the following back:

SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<[email protected]>:
host mail.thoughtproject.net [69.90.217.50]: 550-Verification failed for <[email protected]>
550 Sender verify failed

Is this failing because the "from" domain, velosophy.com is set up on both machines? So the receiving machine thinks that the other machine is somehow "spoofing" it's domain?

Any suggestions? I've even tried adding the IP of the OLD machine to my /etc/virtual/whitelist_from file, but that doesn't seem to help.

Thanks in advance!

Cameron

We have the same issues too in one of our servers. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

Thank you,

Is this a problem only with the two domains in question or does this happen with all email?
What email client/software are you using trying to send the email?
If it's something like outlook or Eudora, have you enabled and configured smtp authentication?

The email will first try to be delivered locally, so if the domain is on the server itself and on another server, with dns changes in progress, that would most likely cause other issues too.

The same error happens when email sent via webmail. I checked from the dnsreport.com and dnsstuff.com site and the reverse DNS was ok.

Exim always attempts local delivery first. So if the domain is hosted on the CPanel machine, it's trying delivery there.

If not, it's trying wherever the MX it gets is pointing to.

So to determine where the problem is occuring, you'll have to verify that the IP# given is in fact your DA server. Is it?

The default install of exim on DA doesn't try to verify senders, but your exim.conf file may still have this option. If it does, it will try to verify that the real sender exists before accepting email from it.

Check these first, and let us know, so we can help you further.

Jeff

jlasman said:
Exim always attempts local delivery first. So if the domain is hosted on the CPanel machine, it's trying delivery there.

If not, it's trying wherever the MX it gets is pointing to.

So to determine where the problem is occuring, you'll have to verify that the IP# given is in fact your DA server. Is it?

The default install of exim on DA doesn't try to verify senders, but your exim.conf file may still have this option. If it does, it will try to verify that the real sender exists before accepting email from it.

Check these first, and let us know, so we can help you further.

Jeff
After checking, the MX is good. The exim.conf verify sender has been taken out (commented). Is there any other loop holes maybe?

Thank you very much Jeff

You say it's good, but you don't say which machine it's pointing to.

Jeff

Here is the DNS I have:

ftp A 206.123.123.64
localhost A 127.0.0.1
mail A 206.123.123.64
pop A 206.123.123.64
***********.com. A 206.123.123.64
www A 206.123.123.64
***********.com. NS ns11.globalcon.net.
***********.com. NS ns12.globalcon.net.
mail MX 10
***********.com. PTR 206.123.123.64

Thank you,

Reyner

It's hard to read your lines as they're wrapped.

Is this one line:

mail MX 10 ***********.com. PTR 206.123.123.64

If so it doesn't look right.

In the control panel it should look something like this:

da1.namelessnet.net. MX 20

in the actual zone file it should look something like this:

ezwebusa.com. 600 IN MX 20 da1.namelessnet.net.

What this zone file entry means is that mail addressed to [email protected] will be sent to da1.namelessnet.net, which is on another server.

My 600 may be a different number on your server; my 20 may be a different number on your server as well.

Unless you give us real names there's no way to check. If I type a bunch of asterisks into a DNS error checking system (such as the one at DNS Report), it won't give me any information valid for your domains.

Jeff

Back