Quick presale questions...

NickRac

Verified User
Here are a couple presale questions I have:

1. If I get a monthly liscnese, decide I like it, request a refund before the 30 days is up and order a life time liscense does anything need to be changed? anything ont he servers have to be modified?

2. What happens if I change my server after a couple months? How much will it cost to reinstall the control panel on a new server?

3. Are monthly licenses transferable?

4. Are lifetime licenses transferable?

Hi Nick,

1. No modification on your end is necessary. We would simply upgrade your license from here. Your server would never be interrupted.

2. We could change the IP address in your license to reflect the new server (we can do this only once, however). You could reinstall DirectAdmin yourself for free or pay us $25 to do if for you. If you change servers within the 90 day support period, then this fee would be waived.

3/4. Licenses generally aren't transferable unless they stay on the same IP. For example, if you sold your server with DirectAdmin on it to someone else, that would be fine. But you couldn't try to provide the DirectAdmin license alone to someone else.

Thanks!

Mark

DirectAdmin Sales said:
We could change the IP address in your license to reflect the new server (we can do this only once, however).
I hope you'll revisit this. Since many of us have no control over whether or not we'll have to change IP#s (for lots of reasons including data centers going out of business, getting off a block assigned to us that's been blackholed, moving to another data center, having to renumber to get more IP#s, or sometimes just because the data center requires it), this policy will make it impossible for us to even consider DA.
Licenses generally aren't transferable unless they stay on the same IP. For example, if you sold your server with DirectAdmin on it to someone else, that would be fine.
I'm not sure how it would be fine, since 99% of the time if we sold our server to someone they'd need to use their own IP#s on it.

It seems to me as if you're you're trying to use IP#s as a form of security. That's good. But imho you need to think the details out a bit more.

Jeff

Jeff,

its been made clear enough the IP is used for the license, if the IP in the license is coming from another IP they can see that its not genuine or they have been moved therefore they can track down people using invalid IPs which is good.

I think as the control panel grows in popularity, they will chnage the way they work it although support would need to answer that in any detail.

Im sure if you can provide justification that is genuine such as the reasons you have stated they will allow you to chnage it as, like you said, if they didnt, it would be a big problem.

Chris

Back