feature request

thesilentman

Verified User
Hi,
I am very impressed by the work you have done!! Keep it up! Great, fast easy to use... clap clap to the developers. LOL :)

I was wondering if it would be possible to include in the reseller options the option to disable the sending of mails through the server from anywhere but the server.
That is, using the esmtp engine only from the localhost ( so that the webmail continues working through the server) but not allowing the smtp connect from somewhere else.
(That would be practical if I would like to have the user sending his/her email only through his/her own internet provider....)

Best Regards
Frank

Hello,

That might be a neat option for the future. Right now, webmail is using smtp, like like a person would do through their email client, so disabling smtp would disable webmail.

John

Why don't ypu decline incomming smtp from your clients by adjusting the exim.conf. That isn't a hard thing todo.... And you still will be able to use webmail,

Thats right, if you want to disable it, you can manually edit your exim.conf and comment out the "plain" and "login" configurations (4 lines each) at the very bottom of the file.

John

Okay, you've managed to lose me, probably because I don't know anything about exim.

What I want is standard POP before SMTP authorization. We've got it set up that way on our Plesk systems and on our Cobalt systems.

I'm presuming DirectAdmin doesn't implement an open relay, so the other choices are:

1) smtp auth (login)
2) POP before SMTP
3) turned off completely

Which is the DirectAdmin default?

How can it be changed?

Jeff

Hello,

DirectAdmin uses SMTP authentication to send through the server. The login/password is the same as the pop login/password... so 1) would be your answer.

to disable all SMTP, so nobody can send mail through the server, edit /etc/exim.conf, scroll to the very bottom of the file, and place pound keys (#) at the beginning of all lines to give you:

#plain:
# driver = plaintext
# public_name = PLAIN
# server_condition = "${perl{smtpauth}}"
# server_set_id = $2

#login:
# driver = plaintext
# public_name = LOGIN
# server_prompts = "Username:: : Password::"
# server_condition = "${perl{smtpauth}}"
# server_set_id = $1

John

(ignore other lines with # at the front)

Thanks all for your replies but I can do this only as an admin....
As I am only a reseller and have no access to that conf file. my idea was to have the option for every one of my users...

Greetings
Frank

DirectAdmin Support said:
DirectAdmin uses SMTP authentication to send through the server. The login/password is the same as the pop login/password... so 1) would be your answer.
John, to move any of my clients at all to DirectAdmin would be a support nightmare.

Can you envision moving hundreds of website customers (each with perhaps two to ten email users) from POP before SMTP to SMTP authentication?

I can tell you right now, it's just not going to happen; I can't afford the support staff necessary to walk a thousand email users through it.

So what do I have to do to implement POP before SMTP in Exim? I tried to find the answer on their website, but it appears as if they're concentrating on Exim 4, and DirectAdmin uses Exim 3.36. Surely there must be a way to implement POP before SMTP; if I can find it and implement it immediately then DirectAdmin remains at the top of my short list. But time is short; I'll either move clients before the end of July, or I'll leave them on the control panels I'm currently using.

I'm sending you more details in a private message.

Jeff

Back