Control Panel Converters

Which control panel converter do you require most?

• Ensim

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Plesk

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • CPanel

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • H-Sphere

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

loopforever

Verified User
Which control panel converter do you have the greatest need for?

Of course, I'm talking about a converter to move from your stinky old control panel, to DirectAdmin, not from DirectAdmin to a stinky old control panel ;).

The Cpanel migration is something I have great interest in, but I don't have much background with the way Cpanel's programmed. Is there documentation for this? Anyone working on it already?

Any new info on the Cpanel mover, my VDS customers seem to come from Cpanel servers and it would make their life much easier....

-Robert

DigitalIsles said:
Any new info on the Cpanel mover, my VDS customers seem to come from Cpanel servers and it would make their life much easier....

-Robert

heh, cpanel will be a mess to move, its horrible! just give him lots of encouragement...

hints: myi files (mysql) go in /var/mysql/<db name>/
public_html is: /home/<username>/domains/<domain name>/public_html
mail is: /home/<username>/mail/

dont know where the valias or other files go... we had lots of fun moving clients :D

aslong as cpanel has them 3 directorys and reads them to work the control panel then you could just make a script that made 3 files (one for each of those directorys)

Im assuming it wouldnt be to difficult... just something based like this:

tar cvf mail.tar /home/*/mail/

?

Chris

Add my vote to control panels for Cobalt RaQs.

There's already a good backup system for RaQs, and an exploder to populate the same site on DA would be nice.

I know a lot of RaQ users are leaving, as sun as EOLd the servers; I'd bet a lot of RaQ people would switch.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I am new here, just found out about DA and it looks great. I have been reading the forums for hours.

I have a RAQ that will need migrating over to DA on FreeBSD (4.9)

Earlier in the forums I found this page which seems to provide at least a partial solution.

Has anyone used this script with success? What about to BSD not Linux?

Last edited:
Wunk said:
Plesk !!!, my god I'd love to ditch that CP
I second that emotion.

And point out that Plesk itself wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for it's reliance on specific versions of so many libraries....

And for it's reliance on qmail, which is specifically patched for Plesk, so you can't add any other patches yourself; you have to pay Plesk to do it for you.

We're no longer Plesk Gold Partners because of all the support issues we had with it.

We continue to have lots of problems with email because we can't patch qmail to use any of the patches not included by Plesk.

qmail was written somewhere around 1998 and there haven't been any official changes to it since.

Okay, now I can get off my soapbox.

Jeff

There is a huge number of people using CPanel. If a solid converter could be written, there's nothing that could stop DA.

jmstacey said:
There is already a cpanel converter.
See the following thread:
That's not very comfortable solution because it's designed for those who have root access to cpanel server and shell access for both. So, resellers and simple users unable to use it.
I think it's not very hard to make modification of that script for importing cpanel account via DA interface. We only need to use same technology as used in cpanel account copy feature - uploading few scripts to remote server, running cpanel's 'pckgacc' utility (in those scripts), downloading cpmove-* tarball and converting it to DA backup.

Back