Third PHP version

JohnyByk

Verified User
Hi everyone.

It's easy way to configure DA with three versions of PHP? I use nginx as reverse proxy for apache and php-fpm

Why i need three versions of PHP?
- very old sites needs PHP 5.3
- newer sites works OK with PHP 5.6
- newest sites can works with PHP 7 (they works faster)

I can run php-fpm70 from /usr/local/php70/sbin/php-fpm70 but it's not proffesional and elegant solution. User's can't select PHP7 from DA panel and i must run php-fpm7 manually :]

Maybe someday DA will be support more than 2 versions of PHP :)?

Regards

Last edited:
Maybe this post should be written in feature requests. I'm sure so it's possible to run more than 2 versions of PHP. I saw this at some hosting providers but i have no idea how to they do this.

Very old sites should probably work fine with 5.6 - there are many deprecated functions, true, but these will produce warnings, not errors. Therefore you can just lower the log level to skip warnings and you will be good to go.

Very old sites should probably work fine with 5.6 - there are many deprecated functions, true, but these will produce warnings, not errors. Therefore you can just lower the log level to skip warnings and you will be good to go.

You have right - probably ;). On our server are few websites that don't work with PHP 5.6

Unfortunately we have not cloudlinux :(

On our server are few websites that don't work with PHP 5.6
In that case they are not worth having, because 5.3 is already a very long time end of life and end of support, so these few websites will have old, outdated and thus probably insecure scripts in use. Customers should be teached about that. I always warn them to check their stuff about half a year before end of support of a version (so often already after end of life), to update their scripts and be sure that they will support the new version.
My customers do listen because they don't want to be hacked and also want to keep my good support. :)

I would like both php 5.6 and php 7, but unfortunately this is not possible with mod_ruid and I don't want to do difficult tricks or use something else.

I think so teaching customers is not our mission. Our mission is give fast and secure hosting :). Almost all hosting providers in Poland have PHP from 5.2 to 7.1
Why? Because it's simpler.
If you have hundreds of thousands of users it is better to block unsecured pages. If you haven't PHP 5.2 or PHP 5.3 you are worse hosting provider and client go to another. Customers are lazy, ignorant, and they do not care that their site is unsecure. It's sad reality.

Using php-fpm its very simple. I used it once mod_ruid because I was afraid that the ph-fpm is more complicated. I was wrong. According to me, php-fpm is the best solution :)
Php-fpm is faster. I think so you should consider changing php handler to fpm :)

Regards

P.S. Sorry for my english

I would like both php 5.6 and php 7, but unfortunately this is not possible with mod_ruid and I don't want to do difficult tricks or use something else.

Why not?

[root@blah ~]# ps x|grep php
php-fpm: master process (/usr/local/php71/etc/php-fpm.conf)
php-fpm: master process (/usr/local/php56/etc/php-fpm.conf)
[root@blah ~]# httpd -M|grep ruid
ruid2_module (shared)

@JohnnyByk:
I think so teaching customers is not our mission. Our mission is give fast and secure hosting.:)
LoL, that's contradictive. Using ancient leak php versions is not secure.
Why? Because it's simpler.
No because it's easier not to leave things unsecure and work with ancient stuff to keep your customers satisfied, until something happens.
Well.. your choice. We rather teach our customers to make backups and to use up2date stuff, which automatically guarantees fast and secure hosting, without unsecure scripts!

@Sysdev:
Well....
and I don't want to do difficult tricks
or otherwise said, by default it's not supported by DA. I've read somewhere in a thread all the things you had to do to get it working if I'm not mistaken.
I'd rather wait until it's officially supported rather then being lucky it worked some how.

I'm using 5.6 with mod_ruid as well and would really like to have mod_ruid with php 7 too so easily try switching users over to 7 without too much changes.

Maybe something change in this case. Still i need 3 of php versions but now
5.4 (now installed for old sites)
5.6 (not installed but some sites compatible with 5.4 can run on 5.6 - faster)
7.1 (installed for newer sites)

Maybe is paid solution/ plugin/ etc?

Regards

Hello,

Please feel free to contact me for a custom solution here. I could write a plugin for you or install 3rd PHP version without a plugin.

Hello,

Please feel free to contact me for a custom solution here. I could write a plugin for you or install 3rd PHP version without a plugin.

I think a plugin with one time fee would work. I would definitely pay for it in stead of paying monthly fee to cloudlinux. I think you should consider it.

Nice.
But still only 1 can support mod_ruid by default via custombuild without special tricks, correct?

The mod_ruid is used with mod_php. There is no reasons to use it with suPHP, fascgi or PHP-FPM.
Apache as far as I know supports only one instance of mod_php loaded at once.

Oke I still use mod_php with mod_ruid, even with php 7.2. The we will keep it that way, because I don't like to setup a lot for php-FPM.

Hi,
Somebody have a date for the release date of a custombuild with 3 or 4 php version ?
Now PHP support version 7.1, 7.2 and 7.3. I need to have more than 2 version.

Someone have a tutorial to install 3 version ?

regards

Back