MySQL 5.0 released

Jeff,

When I first installed DA, I had a problem with mysql so I asked DA Support how to reinstall it. They sent me instructions to run the mysql.sh script in ..../directadmin/scripts and that installed MySQL 5 for me.

PS. I've had no problems with MySQL 5 (except the join issue with osCommerce and dotProject) I expect more projects to include mysql5 compatible code over time so this will be less and less of an issue. I think fixing the scripts is less hassle than installing an old version of MySql.

I asked DA about this and here is what they said:

"centos 4 32 bit would get 4.1. Only Centos 4 - 64-bit gets 5"

They only listed CentOS because that is the OS I was referring to in my email so I am not sure about others.

gbjbaanb said:
Jeff,

When I first installed DA, I had a problem with mysql so I asked DA Support how to reinstall it. They sent me instructions to run the mysql.sh script in ..../directadmin/scripts and that installed MySQL 5 for me.

PS. I've had no problems with MySQL 5 (except the join issue with osCommerce and dotProject) I expect more projects to include mysql5 compatible code over time so this will be less and less of an issue. I think fixing the scripts is less hassle than installing an old version of MySql.

mysql5 will simply freeze up under moderate loads that 4 handles just fine, yes its future proof but its not current proof.

I have problems with getting mysql databases in latin2 to import them into mysql 5 in DA box.
all latin2 specific chars are marked as '?'

even
Code:
ALTER DATABASE (db_name) CHARACTER SET latin2
won't help me...

mysql is in UTF8

I'm wondering why would anyone need to run this rm -f /etc/init.d/mysql and rm -f /etc/rc?.d/*mysql in those install scripts. That's what I did and now DA doesn't recongize MySQL in the show services panel. :?

I also have another question.

Isn't mysql meant to be multi threaded? Why do I see this in ps auxf. MySQL is only running as one thread when in 4.1.x it showed multiple threads.
Code:
root      1563  0.0  0.0  4288 1236 pts/0    S    06:24   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --pid-fi
mysql     1584  8.6 16.9 1433548 349248 pts/0 Sl  06:24   0:58  \_ /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/ --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --us
[

Back