email piping issue - duplicate piped mails

jschurawlow

Verified User
Ok, this one is a somewhat unique issue. Not sure if anyone has brought this up previously or not yet.

In exim if i setup a pipe to a script when i send mail to it I am presented with two of that mail being piped.

What's being done is I am piping to a supportpipe script for exophpdesk and it's duplicating (posting to the script twice).

Not sure if there is some setting that can be adjusted in exim to lengthen delivery timeout or make it not do this? Anyone have any ideas on what to look into with regard to this problem possibly?

I have the same issue on my system.

Has anyone suggested a solution ever then?

Best wishes.

Somehow my account (and the solution) were deleted a year or two back which is why you see jschurawlow referencing me without me actually replying.

Anyway, here's the solution:

Edit /etc/exim.conf

In virtual_aliases: router change

Code:
pipe_transport = virtual_address_pipe

to

Code:
pipe_transport = devnull

and add "devnull" transport

devnull:
driver = appendfile
file = /dev/null

to transports configuration.

Thank you (again) GXX.
I assumed missing information was sent with a private message.

Regards.

What are the unintended consquences of this patch, if any?

Should it be a part of the standard DirectAdmin exim.conf file, or does it change anything else?

Jeff

What are the unintended consquences of this patch, if any?

Should it be a part of the standard DirectAdmin exim.conf file, or does it change anything else?

Jeff

Hi,

Just had this same problem on two servers, and was resolved using GXX's fix. On a 3rd server which was had the exim conf recently rebuilt, it looks like the devnull tranport config has been added, but still had to make a change to the pipe_transport directive.

I'd say that yes this should be part of the standard DirectAdmin exim.conf file IF it doesn't break anything else.

I'd say that yes this should be part of the standard DirectAdmin exim.conf file IF it doesn't break anything else.

Does it break anything?
I got the same problem testing WHMCS. All e-Mails sent twice...

Could I apply the patch without negative consequences?

Please note that the better transport to use is:

devnull:
driver = appendfile
group = nobody
user = "${lookup{$domain}lsearch* {/etc/virtual/domainowners}{$value}}"
file = /dev/null

Otherwise autoresponder emails don't get sent out.

Working on new SpamBlocker exim.conf file this week. Please, someone do some testing on this!

Thanks.

Jeff

Back