Exim 4.60

That will install it.

Whether or not it will work depends on in what state it leaves your /etc/exim.conf file.

If it leaves your old exim.conf file it will still work but may not implement SpamBlocker2. If it updates your exim.conf file but doesn't add the required files, it may cause your exim to be unable to start.

If it updates your exim.conf file and does add the required files it may no longer point to your spamblocker explanation page.

Jeff

jlasman said:
That will install it.

Whether or not it will work depends on in what state it leaves your /etc/exim.conf file.

If it leaves your old exim.conf file it will still work but may not implement SpamBlocker2. If it updates your exim.conf file but doesn't add the required files, it may cause your exim to be unable to start.

If it updates your exim.conf file and does add the required files it may no longer point to your spamblocker explanation page.

Jeff

I never used spamblocker in the first place, and it all seems to work. Why would I want to use spamblocker anyways? I use spamassassin (it still works after the upgrade), and it catches about 95% of all spam. It works great with Pyzor and Razor.

If you don't want to use SpamBlocker don't use it.

It should be much more efficient at catching spam without using near as many resources, but of course it's entirely up to you.

Nevertheless, since it's installed in DA's exim.conf file, then the files have to be there, or DA won't run.

That's what prompted the response to your questions.

Jeff

Uhm one last question: what are those required files? Can you give me one filename so I can see if it's there? :)

floris said:
After this modification exim works like a charm. [/B]
Floris, I found one error (or at least something that could be seen as an error) in your post.

You shouldn't change the ownership of the linked use_rbl_domains file, or change any of it's attributes; by definition linux symbolic link attributes are always:

lrwxrwxrwx root root

since that gives unlimited access to the file, and the target file's permissions and ownerships take control.

Jeff

Dualdot said:
Uhm one last question: what are those required files? Can you give me one filename so I can see if it's there? :)
Did you see Floris's post?
/etc/virtual/bad_sender_hosts
/etc/virtual/blacklist_domains
/etc/virtual/blacklist_senders
/etc/virtual/whitelist_domains
/etc/virtual/whitelist_hosts
/etc/virtual/whitelist_senders
/etc/virtual/use_rbl_domains
All chmod 644 and owned by mail:mail.

Jeff

jlasman said:
floris said:
After this modification exim works like a charm.
floris said:
Floris, I found one error (or at least something that could be seen as an error) in your post.

You shouldn't change the ownership of the linked use_rbl_domains file, or change any of it's attributes; by definition linux symbolic link attributes are always:

lrwxrwxrwx root root

Thanks for letting me know.

Floris

Thanks for the info guys.

Updated our FreeBSD box to 4.60 with spamblocker 2 with no problems.

Looking good! :)

Last edited:
after upgrade cant send eny email from and get :

It was not possible to send this e-mail

SMTP Error: Recipient not accepted. Verify your relay rules

Back

where did you get this error message?

Did you check your /var/log/exim/mainlog file to see what specific loglines you get from this email?

Jeff

yes and get this error :
2006-01-01 23:54:22 failed to open /etc/virtual/whitelist_domains for linear search: No such file or directory
2006-01-01 23:54:23 failed to open /etc/virtual/whitelist_domains for linear search: No such file or directory
2006-01-01 23:54:36 failed to open /etc/virtual/whitelist_domains for linear search: No such file or directory

Did you check to see if the file exists and/or if it has the right permissions?

It needs to have the same/ownership as /etc/virtual/domains.

Jeff

thank you Jeff,

i creat new file and
chown mail:mail /etc/virtual/whitelist_domains

now i get new error :
tail -f /var/log//exim/mainlog
2006-01-02 06:40:30 exim 4.60 daemon started: pid=1075, -q15m, listening for SMTP on port 25 (IPv4) port 587 (IPv4)
2006-01-02 06:40:31 failed to open /etc/virtual/whitelist_hosts for linear search: No such file or directory

any help please

hail said:
thank you Jeff,

i creat new file and
chown mail:mail /etc/virtual/whitelist_domains

now i get new error :
tail -f /var/log//exim/mainlog
2006-01-02 06:40:30 exim 4.60 daemon started: pid=1075, -q15m, listening for SMTP on port 25 (IPv4) port 587 (IPv4)
2006-01-02 06:40:31 failed to open /etc/virtual/whitelist_hosts for linear search: No such file or directory

any help please
Create ALL the files Jeff listed about 9 posts before this one. They all should be owned by mail and 644 permissions.

It may have some dependencies which will keep it from installing. If it does, be sure to not satisfy those dependencies or you could break a lot of other things.

Jeff

Back