Php 4.4.2 is finally out

PHP 4.4.2 won't install on my FreeBSD 4.10 server

It gives me this error:

checking if the location of ZLIB install directory is defined... /usr/local/lib
checking for gzgets in -lz... no
configure: error: ZLIB extension requires zlib >= 1.0.9

*** There was an error while trying to configure php. Check the configure.php file

from configure.php:

--with-zlib \
--with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/lib \

from phpinfo():

ZLib Support enabled
Compiled Version 1.2.3
Linked Version 1.1.4

So... What now ? :)

ok check build in the customapache dir and see what version of zlib listed.

ZLIB_VER=1.2.3

when you do build php select yes to rebuilding zlib.

With Apache2 you run ./build php_ap2.

Flawless install on FreeBSD 6.0-P2 with Apache 2.0.55. Didn't use the "n" or "y" option and manually selected "y" for everything to pause the build process inbetween as it was suggested that overheating may be a problem.

I did encounter one 'problem' (not related to the upgrade, but the problem didn't show somehow with my previous install): PhpMyAdmin complaints that it can't find the mbstring extension. To solve this i did:

vi configure.php_ap2
--enable-mbstring
./build clean
./build php_ap2 n

Last edited:
Flawless install on FreeBSD 6.0-P2 with Apache 2.0.55.

Is that the official beta of 6.x or the compat library 5.x running on 6.x?

Just thought it would be good to clarify it.

Steve

FreeBSD 6.0 is not a beta version. I make no use of the compat libraries (but i upgraded 6.0 from 5.4, so who knows what it's doing under the hood).

I mean the Directadmin 6.x beta or the 5.x version of DA running on 6.x with the compat libraries.

Steven

It's the 5.x version of DA running on 6.x; even though i didn't install compat manually - it's nowhere in my rc.conf and pkg_info doesn't show it either - i suspect it's using it somewhere as 5.x binaries run fine.

Last edited:
/build php n took my 2.5ghz CPU [512 RAM] about an hour but worked perfectly.

Thanks for the steps jeffery, i wish updating was always this simple :D

One hour? It took me 5 minutes with the Y flag (freebsd 6)... how can a build take one hour?

It depends on many different things.

Read previous posts in this thread, it took someone 3 hours (after which he cancelled). They then used thier dual xeon server which took 30 minutes.

I'm inclined to say something is horribly wrong. My 750mhz laptop doesn't even take that long...

(What's that God? Time to upgrade?)

it is best to shut down apache whilst the build is running sometimes especially if a different version of php to the one running apache will start locking up and saturating cpu with the build going making it slowdown.

Well.. the CPU usage was at 60% before i started, high memory usage, load averages about 2.0, uptime is 270 days.

I should really have stopped unneeded running processes but nevermind i will next time :D.

if I want to add support for PostgreSQL through upgrade, can I do it by modifying /usr/local/directadmin/customapache/configure.php to add '--with-pgsql' ?

Back