[BUG] Enhanced Skin - DA 1.26.1

Spook

Verified User
I suppose this is a bug..

After login using Opera 8.51, if I hover over the top icons (home, webmail, etc) the scroll bar continues to get longer and longer, increasing the whitespace after the 'extra features' menu down to the blue lower border.

This happens with Admin, Reseller and User menus. I think that I've also seen this happening in some sub-menus.

Does it happen with Mozilla?

Does it happen with IE?

Unless it happens with mainstream browsers I don't see how you could call it a bug.

Jeff

You mean to tell me you think Opera is not a mainstream browser? That's absurd..

jlasman said:

Does it happen with IE?

Unless it happens with mainstream browsers I don't see how you could call it a bug.

Jeff

mainstream:
n. The prevailing opinion or practise;

http://www.opera.com/products/desktop/awards/

Download.com - Top rating, 5 out of 5
PC World's World Class Award, 2004 and 2005
Web Host Magazine & Buyer's Guide

I'd say "mainstream" is a term determined by the user in this case... certainely it'd be in the top 3 or 4 choices that any user has.

jlasman said:

Does it happen with IE?

Jeff

Man, talk about a copout statement. :eek:

I still haven't seen a response to the question.

Until I get a resonse to the question I'm not going to take the time to look at it.

So if you won't answer me, then contact DirectAdmin support.

:)

Jeff

Okay... I went ahead and looked at it.

It works fine in Mozilla. I have no idea concerning IE because I don't use Windows and IE isn't made for Linux, so I can't test it.

And with Opera the problem occurs when you move away from the buttons, not when you hover over them.

So now the question becomes why.

Is there a place at Opera to write to so they can look at these issues and recommend fixes?

Jeff

In the windows version of Opera 8.51 there is a 'report site problem' selection off the help menu item.

I have an premiun support account at Opera.com, I suppose that could be some use.

As it goes with large companies, I have no idea if there is any way to carry on any sort of dialog directly with Opera developers using email.

Aside from that there are forums. Probably the only of any consequence would be:

Beta Testing
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/forum.dml?id=31

FWIW: my lack of response about the other browsers is because I do not have/use them. The remnants of IE still on my system are dated (v5.0) so not much point considering tests of IE I could do.. Seemed there would be plenty of people who could confirm/deny the existance of the 'bug' in other browsers.

If you've got a premium support at Opera, just use it :) .

Years ago they were very responsive, but I haven't used Opera in years except for testing purposes.

I like mozilla.

And I wouldn't call the problem a bug; I'd call it a rendering issue.

Jeff

Just verified that this indeed does happen in Opera 8.51.

Does NOT happen in Firefox 1.5

Nor does it happen in IE 6.

(yes, I have lots of browsers installed since I do site development).

My comment

My comment to this thread is their skin code is NOT very HTML compliant and is not tested against a DTD.

We made our own skin and made it XHTML complaint and tested the HTML. This helps with many of cross browser issues. If there is bad HTML, what may work with one browser can brake with another.

Make the skins XHTML. that way it's easier to change the look and feel of it.
That's (again) my suggestion to improve their control panel.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm not entirely convinced that there is a bug in the html.. I'll admit it does cross many different formats, but I did test it on Opera 7.11 which works just fine.

For Opera 8, I have found an interesting workaround.
Edit /usr/local/directadmin/data/skins/enhanced/header_bar.html.
Find the following code
PHP:
<td width="586" valign=top>
change it to
PHP:
<td width="586" valign=top height=1>
The height=1 doesn't really do anything, but that stops opera from growing the page.

As for "what's actually wrong" to cause it.. I won't rule out the skin as it doesn't follow any sort of rules, but I've never heard of a page growing because the height wasn't set... who knows. The reason I'm leaning towards an Opera bug (likely a case that it shouldn't have to handle, but exists none the less) is because the <td></td> field that is growing has nothing to do with the javascript bit that is swapping the images.. with the height=1 there, it should still grow assuming the javascript imges were actually getting that much bigger each hover. Could be some numerical additions gone wrong somewhere alongs those lines, can't say for sure.

John

I'm not saying in this case it's an HTML coding errror and more than likely IS an Opera bug.

BUT....

without quotes around a "value" statement while should work with all browsers is technically not correct html. I have seen other parts of the skin html use single quotes for the value statement which also is not correct html.

So the correct syntax is:

PHP:
<td width="586" valign="top" height="1">

While a page should generate correctly incorrrect HTML can produce odd results. By validating the HTML against a specific DTD (say HTML 4.01 strict for example) it reduces the risk it is bad html that's the cause and not a browser specific bug. I have seen Firefox for example behave differently in it's HTML parsing just because the DTD llisted on the page.

Regards...

Last edited:
Back