Reseller level backup bandwidth usage

Icheb

Verified User
I've changed all my servers' default backup system from admin level to reseller level, so that I can easily re-upload users to other servers if one of my servers fails.
But I'm noticing an significant increase of 'traffic' caused by the users.

How do I disable traffic counting for reseller level backups (completely) ?
They're transferred to a server where such thing as bandwidth doesn't matter...

I'm already getting complaints about usage for january, and there's still 11 days to go.

Hello,

The Reseller Backups bandwidth is charged to that Reseller's bandwidth.tally file.

Each user being backed up is not charged for that bandwidth.

It sounds to me like the bandwidth was not reset on your system. Type:
Code:
echo "action=reset&value=all" >> /usr/local/driectadmin/data/task.queue
/usr/local/directadmin/dataskq d
to reset everyone back to zero.

If you want to remove bandwidth counting for that particular backup, then remove that bandwidth entry from the reseller bandwidth.tally file after the backup is done (no DA option to disable it)

John

Same problem here: Reseller backup bandwidth is added to the total bandwidth usage.

Which line needs to be removed from bandwidth.tally? I don't want any complaining customers because of a daily backup to another server.

Hello,

Take the "time" value from one of the entires.. at some point in the file, the time will be for the previous month.

Or, if you start at the bottom of the file, each:
Code:
0.000000=type=tally&time=1138782063&ftp_bw_total=0.000000&http_bw_total=0.000000&da_bw_total=0.000000
formatted line will represent one day.

If you count the number of days gone by so far this month, go up that many of these lines in the file. Everything above that would be for the previous month, so delete everything above it.

FYI: a time value of 1138782063 is Feb 1st, 2006 (roughly). Any numbers higher than that would be after that date, lower would be before. (It's a value in seconds)

John

Sounds way to difficult.

Isn't it possible to modify a script so that the reseller's backup won't be added to his/her bandwith usage? We (and our resellers) backup to our own servers every day so I don't want to count that at all.

It would be very convenient if Directadmin had an option to not count bandwidth to or from designated IP blocks. Then backups or other activity across the local network could be easily excluded from the bandwidth count.

This would also have some bonus benefits: If we are debugging an unexpected bandwidth spike, it's nice to know which specific IP address is causing it.

Th implementation would be conceptually easy but tedious. In every place where bandwidth is recorded, also record the IP address. I know it's much easier to make feature requests than to implement them. :)

Rahul

C'mon, this doesn't really sound all to difficult to make; In essence, what I need is a checkbox that allows me (as admin/reseller) to check or uncheck if an FTP backup to location X would have to count as bandwidth.

If possible this can be a greppable list of IP adresses or something. At the moment we have one backup server, but this is going to change later this year.

My request for this feature would be a new screen in admin window where one could add IP's to a list in which no traffic would be counted. When using the backup system.

This really would be what I need.
Bandwidth per IP would even be nicer (if you can subtract it from the actual counted bandwidth), but that's something I don't see happening.

So John, what do you think ? (or anyone else :))

Icheb said:
I've changed all my servers' default backup system from admin level to reseller level, so that I can easily re-upload users to other servers if one of my servers fails.
But I'm noticing an significant increase of 'traffic' caused by the users.

How do I disable traffic counting for reseller level backups (completely) ?
They're transferred to a server where such thing as bandwidth doesn't matter...

I'm already getting complaints about usage for january, and there's still 11 days to go.

How did you to that? Are you able to do it in cron without noticing reseller?

Re: Re: Reseller level backup bandwidth usage

dannygoh said:
How did you to that? Are you able to do it in cron without noticing reseller?
Yes, if one would be an admin, one could 'dive' into the different resellers, add cronjobs for backups and disable notifications for backup completion.

On the receiving server, I've a bash script that creates directory's per reseller per server and moves the old backups there, so I can get 'some' retention.

However it is a pain in the a** as I now am unable to measure the amount of traffic caused by the resellers. Which they in turn discovered... So I'm desperately waiting on the release of DA that would be released today.

dannygoh said:
DirectAdmin v1.27 is released! :D
Just noticed, in the process of updating the servers now :).

John should create a mailinglist so we can all start hammering the DA servers when a new version is released...

Icheb said:
Just noticed, in the process of updating the servers now :).

John should create a mailinglist so we can all start hammering the DA servers when a new version is released...

So, how you do it?

how do you backup your reseller + reseller's user? are you doing it cron so reseller do not noticing it.

dannygoh said:
how do you backup your reseller + reseller's user?
Like I explained above, I log in to the reseller from admin, select ALL users and add them to a backup cron to our backup FTP server.

are you doing it cron so reseller do not noticing it.
Backup cron yes.

Icheb said:

There is a mailing list:

da-announce

It's a standard majordomo list running at daserversolutions.com.

So the standard majordomo procedures apply.

Note it is a double-opt-in list.

Jeff

jlasman said:
There is a mailing list:

da-announce

It's a standard majordomo list running at daserversolutions.com.

So the standard majordomo procedures apply.

Note it is a double-opt-in list.

Jeff

Welcome to the home of daserversolutions.com
To change this page, upload your website into the public_html directory

Back