Multi IP's for single user

Twintone

Verified User
When might we see the ability for more then 1 IP per single user? I have been requesting this for like 2 years, and it is needed pretty bad. At least by us.

Pretty much all other CP's offer it, and I just can't see it being very hard to implement.

We get requests all the time for 10+ IP's for one account. They are looking to have each domain hosted on it's own IP. The only way we are currently able to offer this is to set them up as a reseller, then make them setup a separate user account and assign it a unique IP. Problem is, not many people want 10 separate accounts to host 10 domains.

We are losing business due to this.. not wanting to go through the hassle of setting up 10+ accounts, and going to a host that is running CPanel, or some other CP that allows multi IP's on a single user account.

I know there is demand for it, and I know there is interest from other hosts for it. So, what needs to happen to get this option added to DA?

Please consider it.. it would be a huge improvement to DA.

I would have to disagree. If you are giving out multiple IP addresses then they are a "reseller". No end user would need that amount of IPs without unless they are hosting multiple web sites. Why would you want all of them under one account? As the reseller you can login to each account to manage them. IMHO makes the management of the sites and much easier to understand.

Allowing multiple IP addresses per user would make the interface much more complicated for an end user. DA interface is easier to use than the other control panels like Cpanel. If DA tries to be like Cpanel then they would turn into a bloated mess with security issues :)

Well I can see you don't understand the need of "ALL" users being a reseller, but we have many customers that would take advantage of this, and in some cases need it.

By no means would it cause security issues, so not sure what you are getting at there. All that was stated was that most other CP's offer it, in no way did I say I would want DA to be more like CPanel.

The ability to offer multi IP's to one user does not make DA any closer to becoming CPanel, or any less secure.

And yes, it would be for multiple websites.. you don't offer multi domain hosting under your user plans? You have to be a reseller to host more then on domain? You don't make much sense.

The nice part about it is. If you don't want to offer it, you wouldn't have to, and therefore wouldn't confuse yourself, or your users. But a host that does have the need could take advantage of it.

I can see the use of this. For example, if a user had two domains and would like to install an SSL certificate on both...

I would like to see this feature. As it is I have to create a new account for each IP.

I will add my vote to have it for sure! I had just assumed it did have it.

Think about it, if a webmaster hosts multiple domains in his account that he manages for his clients he can not have more than one IP. Like was mentioned what if he has 5 sites that need SSL?

The ability to have multiple domains in one account is so that you can manage all of them with one login right? So why would it be that if you need a dedicated IP you can not do this anymore?

I do not see the sense in that myself.

Count me in as well. This is a serious problem. I do not want to have to make everyone who needs two ssl certs a reseller. What would it take to get this done?

Personally I don't see it being something very difficult to implement at all, nothing really changes as far as any config files go.

At one point about a year ago I emailed support about this a few times, and actually was told it was something they were looking to do soon. Not sure why it hasn't happened.

As like most things, if there is enough demand for it, it will happen. So I guess everyone that is for it should send a polite email making the request.

Here is the reply I got back from them a day later.

------

Hello,

Yes, that's on the todo list. We're still trying to figure out the best way to handle the ftp accounts though. Owned IP accounts use "user" for the login for the default domain. If they have multiple owned IP's in one account, more ftp.passwd files would have to be used.. likely, we'll just end up use [email protected] for all ftp account logins when more than 1 IP is used.. it's still a couple of releases off until we can figure issues like that out.

Thank you,

John

------

Twintone said:
Personally I don't see it being something very difficult to implement at all, nothing really changes as far as any config files go.

At one point about a year ago I emailed support about this a few times, and actually was told it was something they were looking to do soon. Not sure why it hasn't happened.

As like most things, if there is enough demand for it, it will happen. So I guess everyone that is for it should send a polite email making the request.

Here is the reply I got back from them a day later.

------

Hello,

Yes, that's on the todo list. We're still trying to figure out the best way to handle the ftp accounts though. Owned IP accounts use "user" for the login for the default domain. If they have multiple owned IP's in one account, more ftp.passwd files would have to be used.. likely, we'll just end up use [email protected] for all ftp account logins when more than 1 IP is used.. it's still a couple of releases off until we can figure issues like that out.

Thank you,

John

------

Is there any update on this? We would really like to see this happen soon. We have to turn down customers all the time that request multi IP's for SEO and the like.

Any update on this topic would be appreciated.

Why not give them a reseller account? I do agree.

DA we need this feature.

rldev said:
Why not give them a reseller account? I do agree.

DA we need this feature.

It is explained above why. Because if someone wants to host 20 sites on unique IP's, they have to setup 20 individual accounts. Going through that process, and keeping track of all the user accounts is somewhat painful.

Would be much easier to just say.. "Here are 20 IP's, when you add your domains, either choose to share an IP, or put the new domain on it's own unique IP."

CPanel and other CP's have this feature, why not DA? I never compare DA to other CP's because I feel it is superior to them, but if they can do it, I know DA can. It shouldn't be all that difficult.

I do not disagree with you. That is all you can do until DA does something. Really this is a necessary feature.

We would love to have this feature, it's much more convenient to have 1 account per customer. Having multiple accounts for the same customer causes confusion and support overhead.

So, either that or integrated CRM with autologin into all accounts of a given customer would be nice :)

I too have had clients request this that have 2 domains and need seperate ssl certs for each of them. Count me in on this feature request

Hi Folks,

any update on this one?? Currently i'm implementing a lot of e-commerce shops.. and yes, they all need an SSL certificate and yes.. some customers do have more than 1 shop.

This should probably take precedence over many other requests at this point, unless it halts spam related development.

Since my last post, we have probably had 30 users need us to move them to a new user on the system because they decided to purchase an SSL cert, and needed a unique IP for this. It is a major pain in more ways then one.

This has been the only thing I have ever asked for in DA.. I am completely happy with every thing else.

My first request for this was emailed directly to DA support, and I did get a response that it was something being worked on. I believe it was from Mark. That was over 3 years ago, so I don't remember for sure. Hope the wait is nearing the end. :)

Hello,

The apache portion of the multi-IP per user is quite easy yet. However, when we start to get into ftp settings, owned IP addresses and backups.. it starts to get very messy.

At the moment, you *can* use multiple IPs for a user, but manually. First, the User needs to "own" 1 IP so that DA sets things up as owned IPs and so you can add certificates on all the doamins. The IPs that you want the other domain to use has to be entered into the:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/domains/domain.com.conf
file, in the ip field. Then issue a rewrite for the httpd.conf:
Code:
echo "action=rewrite&value=httpd&user=[b]username[/b]" >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
and voila, you have apache rewritten for a seperate IP. Of course, you'll need to update the dns entries to show the other IP address.

The ftp portion would be a bit messy.. since it's an "owned" IP, there must be a virtualhost entry in the /etc/proftpd.vhosts.conf file for the original owned IP. The extra ones won't have an entry, thus you'll probably want to add one, also pointing to the /usr/local/directadmin/data/users/username/ftp.passwd file, so that ftp accounts used on the 2nd IP will work.

To prevent DA from assigning the 2nd IP to someone else, it would most likely be safest to manually set IP to be owned to the user as well. Edit:
/usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/ips/1.2.3.4
(where 1.2.3.4 is the 2nd IP).. set the "status=owned" and "value=username".

Note that I havn't tested this out, but *should* work as a decent workaround. Also note that backups/restores will likely set the user back to the single IP set to that user, so keep an eye on that if you and moving them around.

John

So why is this so difficult to do via DA. You mapped out all the steps.

Back