can recieve mail but can't send using 3rd party software.

neurostatic

hi there,

on all of our domains, we can recieve incomming mail without problems, but sending is not working.

all domains have the mx set to mail.domain.com and it's resolving.

as for an exemple, outlook reports error 800 while trying to send.

(Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'nsoft', Server: 'mail.nsoft.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F)

I checked around according to other posts, and all of my configs seems ok.

i'll also mention that both webmail and squirrelmail can send and recieve mail.

any clue on what's wrong ?

Your ISP could be blocking port 25. That's the most common reason for it to not work.

You can run telnet from your local system to port 25 on your server and run a session manually (google for instructions) to see if it works.

Jeff

it connects, nothing happens and stays like that for a few seconds and then it says the server unexpectedly closed the connection.

so i guess i have my answer there.. I'll talk to the guys at our isp today to get more info and post back what i got after.

thanx.

When I do the telnet test I have no problem reaching your server, so I think it's an ISP issue:
Code:
[jlasman@of1 ~]$ telnet mail.nsoft.ca 25
Trying 64.15.74.58...
Connected to mail.nsoft.ca (64.15.74.58).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 server.domperso.com ESMTP Exim 4.60 Thu, 09 Mar 2006 20:37:20 -0500

Jeff

found it. You were right, my isp is the problem. They are a bunch of morrons. It's not written/mentionned anywhere, but they block ALL outgoing traffic on port 25, except when directed on their own mail server. i checked the alternative port 587, and everything works fine.

it will just be annoying to explain that to all of our users that are with that isp. (roughly 50% :mad: )

You can explain it to your users, but it's really up to your ISP.

But... they're really not morons. We did it as well when we owned an ISP; if we didn't, our users machines would get infected with viruses and send tons of spam.

Most ISPs are doing it.

They should of course tell you. But it may not be easy to find; we tell our clients in our TOS.

We also tell our hosting companies in our welcome letter that they should send outgoing email through their ISP; makes life easy. Saves bandwidth.

:)

Jeff

Back