VMWare comunity packs

gbjbaanb

Verified User
I noticed this on the VMWare site: http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/community.html

Where they have user-defined packages of pre-built applications in a VMServer image for download. (so you can try the app without having to bother installing or configuring it, I guess).

However, I was thinking whether it would be an interesting idea for DA to create one of these with a trial licence and a dummy IP (supply the image with instructions to change it) and you have everything you need to run a DA webserver in about 10 minutes.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

I second this Idea :) , I think a lot of companys will offer this as a deployment option as they just work out of the box

*bump*

(Didn't read for a while)

What could be made possible is some form of small distro installation (eg debian?) which will meet all requirements for DA.
And than, on first bootup, it will just start up the setup.sh for DA, will do everything, and after a few minutes, you have a running DA setup ;).

Might actually be interesting for some of us...

I'm also for this with Xen. We will be creating an image for use with Xen but will have to create some script to allocate IP and other items withing DA so it works per that instance.

Why not make a limited 1-domain version of DA? It would greatly help out people as they could have a VMWare installation for testing.

I understand the issues about licencing, and more importantly piracy.

DA could be set up to run in a 'crippled' 1 domain mode if there was no licence available for it.

The problem is more that a hacker could undo the protection and get DA running with full rights (but then could they not do that already?), but it could be released with chunks of code missing completely (eg reseller and change user screens). That'd sort out any piracy problems!

I think it would be the single best advert for DA possible, it would also make DA the number 1 hosting platform, and a nice way for a single user to run his single domain website with. As people like it, they'd use it and DA would spread like wildfire, not only because people like using it for their own sites, but if they buy hosting they'd ask for DA (instead of 'control panel').

Anyway, it makes sense to me :)

The problem is more that a hacker could undo the protection and get DA running with full rights (but then could they not do that already?), but it could be released with chunks of code missing completely (eg reseller and change user screens). That'd sort out any piracy problems!

Other control panels such as Plesk already do 1-domain free versions and they havn't had issues with people undoing the whole system. If you have binary code running, it would be extremely hard to undo the whole 1 domain thing.

Back