Stats Control (Yet another AwStats Plugin ;)

I'm also watching with interest the developments of this thread as a possible move to Awstats. Whether DA should offer this as an alternative to webalizer is a different matter and as Jeff points out they have never offered it.

Jon

Originally posted by jjma
what would happen to the stats generated by webalizer in previuos months?

Would the stats be lost?
In brief - no. Previous stats files wouldn't be deleted by this plugin.

AWStats has never been an official part of DirectAdmin.
A glowing report on another forum how they had many users on the plug-in with no problems formed the basis for our decision. For our upcoming server we now know that there is only one control panel that can provide users with usable stats as well as the ability to manage them. It would be difficult for any hosting company to aggressively promote a product without this ability. It would be in DA's best interest to quickly address this short-coming. One can see from Plesk's ???X forums that this deficiency has cost them dearly.

jlasman said:
AWStats has never been an official part of DirectAdmin.

I, too, am looking at this thread as a possible answer to using AWStats, but it's important to note that DA has never promised AWStats; it's always been a third-party offering by volunteers.

Jeff

Then its about time they do, if they would like to beat cpanel..

Do i need to uninstall jsman's plugin first, then use the converter and after that install your plugin?

The previous AWStats plugin is not mine.

Our only plug in we (it isn't mine; it's ours, mine and Onno's) have created for DirectAdmin is the SpamBlocker Plug-In. It doens't have to be removed to install any other plugin.

Jeff

Not updating

I've looked at everyone's posts but it's not updating with the scheduled cron job or by running the shell script by hand. The logs show no errors and says "Running awstats for domain.com" and the only stats that show are the stats for the first day awstats was enabled. Other than that there's no updates. Awstats reports that it's been run at 12:40 but no stats are tallied. What's the deal?

Adam

if they would like to beat cpanel.
I would change that to say "if they would like to make it to anybody's short list." Currently, that short list has only one entry. As a web hoster, why would you educate people on the advantages of DA only to lose your credibility when they discover that it doesn't have AWstats that are usable or manageable? AWStats is basic expected functionality for anyone serious about using their web site as a marketing tool.

Unless ClayRabbit can "pull a rabbit out of the hat", we are in for an expensive and painful migration for us and our customers.

Re: Not updating

Can anyone help me with this issue?

admonet said:
I've looked at everyone's posts but it's not updating with the scheduled cron job or by running the shell script by hand. The logs show no errors and says "Running awstats for domain.com" and the only stats that show are the stats for the first day awstats was enabled. Other than that there's no updates. Awstats reports that it's been run at 12:40 but no stats are tallied. What's the deal?

Adam

Re: Re: Not updating

admonet said:
Can anyone help me with this issue?

I have sort of the same issue.

However, I should clarify that I installed the other awstat plugin before, and had some log problems with, so I uninstalled it.

The cron seems fine

SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
MAILTO=root
HOME=/

# run-parts
01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly
40 0 * * * root /usr/local/directadmin/plugins/Stats_Control/scripts/stats_run.sh #Added by Stats Control Plugin

Stats control did run the first day, but nothing since then.
Where or what should i look?

Do you receive any errors/messages while running stats_run.sh in SSH? Do you have lines like
<date> <time> Running <stats_type> for <yourdomain>
inside /var/log/stats_run.log? Also look for /home/<user>/domains/<domain>/stats/awstats.log file (or webalizer.log) and check it's content.

Error: Couldn't open file "/home/stormstr/domains/syntheticshield.com/stats/awstats042006.syntheticshield.com.tmp.11510" for write: Permission denied
Setup ('/etc/awstats/awstats.syntheticshield.com.conf' file, web server or permissions) may be wrong.
Check config file, permissions and AWStats documentation (in 'docs' directory).

This is the error. I will reset the permissions but is there any way you can fix this from your plugin side?

Adam

Our customers have caught on that we don't have stats. We can't start another month like this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see any success stories on this thread. Chrysalis has been pretty quiet too, so it must not be going so well for him either.

ClayRabbit, I don't know why the plug-in works for you, but not for anyone else. I'd pay to have someone set it up on our FreeBSD server if it meant we would have reliable and accurate stats. Otherwise, we can only conclude that it doesn't work.

At this point, it appears as though DA doesn't have usable AWStats available from any source. That's a shame since it stands in the way of DA qualifying as a valid general hosting control panel. Since switching to cPanel appears to be the only option, the only way out is purchase another dedicated server, migrate everyone's site to it for free, train them for free, and turn in the current server. I regret to say, our DA decision has cost us dearly. For this reason, rumors of usable AWStats options for DA must be dispelled on public forums to insure others are aware of this limitation when they are evaluating control panel software.

I would welcome any accurate, reliable, and maintainable AWStats solution that could prevent what appears to be the inevitiable.

Thanks!

I really have no words for what you just said. But if your customers are that eager on having statistics, sell them Urchin. It's just ridiculous to say that DA isn't a valid control panel because it doesn't have AWStats included.

As to cPanel, I'll avoid the subject.

I really have no words for what you just said. But if your customers are that eager on having statistics, sell them Urchin. It's just ridiculous to say that DA isn't a valid control panel because it doesn't have AWStats included.
What's ridiculous is to think you can expect business customers to who spend 50K to 100K on the construction of their site, plus internal costs impact on their people's time, retain SEOs, and then not have the tools available to measure the effectiveness of their web marketing and direct marketing synergies, and not have the decision support information necessary to determine the cost effectiveness of their strategies. It's also rediculous to think you could acquire many business customers before running into this situation. Urchin & Sitemeter only provide part of the picture.

As to cPanel, I'll avoid the subject.
I've tried to avoid cPanel by going with DA. However, it appears it may be our only workable option. This is a pick your poison situation.

Last edited:
Both AWStats as the less capable webalizer are just tools which should not be used as statistical information where you would base your marketing campaign on.

Especially customers who rely heavily on the provided information should be spending more to get a professional package capable of doing so. If they can spend 50,000 to 100,000 they sure can spend a bit more to get professional reports. Not even talking about the fact that they would be using shared hosting.

Honestly, I think you're expecting too much from a control panel.

I am quiet because I havent tried it yet, the problem with awstats at the moment is we have 2 plugins developed for free and as such they are not going to be supported in the same way as a commercial product. The first plugin was developed as a proof of concept that it could be in DA in the hope it was integrated into the core product but it didnt happen, I would certianly like for awstats to be officially part of the DA package because webalizer is quite poor but probably due to the maintenance involved it isnt the case. I would have thought tho their would be minimal problems with this plugin since clayrabbit is using FreeBSD on his own boxes.

Back