Ruby On Rails installer

Redevelopment

Verified User
I'd like to see a Ruby On Rails installer for DA. Eventually being able to enable/disable it per client or domain from DA.

Since the RoR userbase is growing and growing I think this is something many hosters would like to have.
Just my two cents.

Ruben.

I second that. I'd love to see an official installer. Thanks.

Search these forums and you'll find that someone is working on a Ruby On Rails plugin.

Jeff

Let's look at it slightly differently...

Vandal has announced he's working on a plugin.

Then DirectAdmin writes one, and includes it.

Would that be fair to Vandal? I say let's give him some time.

And would that be fair to DirectAdmin staff? They'd be spending time and money on something already being worked on by a third party.

And would that be fair to the users, who are waiting for lots of other additions to DA that no one else is working on?

I say let's give Vandal a chance :p .

Jeff

Good point, but...

- Vandal has been announcing this since september 2005 (== 7 months) I'd say that's time enough to write a plugin.

- I thought this forum was for Feature Request, which is exactly what I'm doing here. Obviously there are other DA users who wish for the same feature.

There's also a few plugins over the years that were announced that they were being worked on and some progress made, but then the project died (normal, every-day stuff, nothing wrong with that). I don't think it's a good criteria for DA to choose what they do and don't do.

(I would even say that this should apply to some things that already have a plugin. If it should be a core feature, and not an add-on, then it should be included by DA. If someone releases a PHP5 plugin, does that mean that DA shouldn't include PHP5 support in a future rev?)

In his thread, Vandal says he's finishing it up.

So I suppose if I read the two recent posts properly, DirectAdmin should put it on their future product list to start at some point in the future when they're finished with everything that comes before it.

And then we should see who finishes first?

Personally, I'm not recommending to DA staff that they drop everything to work on something else that's already being worked on by a contributor. Certainly this is a Feature Requests forum, and certainly you may so recommend.

;)

Jeff

In his thread, Vandal says he's finishing it up.
Well that's about time after 7 months. ;)

So I suppose if I read the two recent posts properly, DirectAdmin should put it on their future product list to start at some point in the future when they're finished with everything that comes before it.

And then we should see who finishes first?

No, it's not a race between DA staff and Vandal or another contributor. I personally have more faith in an official release of a feature incorporated in DA and maintained by DA staff, than in a module contributed by a third party. No offense.

Ruben.

Redevelopment said:
No offense.
None taken. I just don't want to see DA staff dilute their efforts any more than they have to; we're all waiting for so much.

Jeff

Back