DA Multi Server Question(s)

mattnbrown

Hi,

I hope i have chosen the correct section for this...

Basically I am not too clear on if direct admin will support multi servers in quite the same way as something like helm (which is what i use on a 10 server web farm).

I would like to have something like:

Server1 - DA
Server2&3 - DNS
Server4 - Web
etc... etc...

Is this relatively easily done with DA and is just a single license required for the main DA control server?

Sorry if i dont make too much sense, i am new to DA :)

Any help would be very much greatfully recieved!

Thanks,
Matt.

It has been a while since I did any searching for this topic but there is some info here on it.

Unless I missed something the answer is no it will not function in a cluster like it seems you are talking. You can use multiple DNS servers but it is not like hsphere where it is made to have servers dedicated to one task.

DamnSkippy is correct; DA is not a true multiple-user solution as are Helm and H-Sphere.

Jeff

DirectAdmin will support remote DNS servers, as well as a remote (well technically it should be fairly 'local'), i.e. on a different box MySQL server. You can *probably* get something similar setup for mail, but I'm sure DA wouldn't support it.

I have a question too. I'm not sure if I understood what this DA Multiserver does...

What are the advantages of using it?

Just preventing users to add duplicated domains?

Does it mean I can always give my users ns1.server1.com and ns2.server1.com and their sites will work even if they're on server2.com?

DirectAdmin's Multi Server Setup only handles DNS between multiple servers; nothing else.

If you set up each domain properly for Multi Server Setup, then yes, you can give your servers both ns1.server1.com and ns2.server1.com. But why would you want to? The whole purpose of Multi Server Setup is so you can have one nameserver each on two separate machines: ns1.example.com on the first server, and ns2.example.com on the second server.

Jeff

DirectAdmin's Multi Server Setup only handles DNS between multiple servers; nothing else.

If you set up each domain properly for Multi Server Setup, then yes, you can give your servers both ns1.server1.com and ns2.server1.com. But why would you want to? The whole purpose of Multi Server Setup is so you can have one nameserver each on two separate machines: ns1.example.com on the first server, and ns2.example.com on the second server.

Jeff

Indeed, another useful point would be for a larger shared hosting company to have two dedicated nameservers in separate facilities, and have all of their servers "hooked up" to these nameservers with synced zones. This way, between all servers, the same two nameservers can be used. It add quites a bit of convenience...and many large cPanel-based providers do this as well.

Indeed, another useful point would be for a larger shared hosting company to have two dedicated nameservers in separate facilities, and have all of their servers "hooked up" to these nameservers with synced zones. This way, between all servers, the same two nameservers can be used. It add quites a bit of convenience...and many large cPanel-based providers do this as well.
Yes but unless you want to buy DA licenses for those servers you might want to use master2slave DNS Replicator for that. Search these forums.

(another free and open source product from NoBaloney Internet Services :) .)

Jeff

Yes but unless you want to buy DA licenses for those servers you might want to use master2slave DNS Replicator for that. Search these forums.

(another free and open source product from NoBaloney Internet Services :) .)

Jeff

Interesting - I haven't seen your product before :) I will be checking this out.

Back