Searching Mailing Lists

transmobius

Verified User
I trying to use the mailing lists search function under Email->Mailing Lists->Advanced Search and I never get any results.

I have to delete one subscriber that probably exists in several lists (there are quite a few) and would really like to find his entries the easy way.

Is there some trick? Wildcard? Something? I've tried all sorts of combinations and variations, but the searches never find anything. I'm running DA v1.27.2

Hello,

What combinations are you using? Maybe I know the tricks because I wrote it.. but it's working for me... I'm not able to see a problem, so let me know exactly what you're typing...

The "contains" search option is generally a safer tool than equals due to the fact that the tables cells contain <a href=> type links.. but that *shouldn't* make a difference because the hrefs are added after the searching is done.

One thing.. after testing it, I did realize that I have not seperated the tables into 2 unique tables.. .the searches will span both tables, but that shouldn't be a prolblem.. maybe once I get clarification on how you're doing it I'll be able to see something.

If you've got multiple entires per cell (ie: comma separated) then definately use the "contains" option instead of the "equals" option.. as the entire cell is compared.

Fyi, I'm using the enhanced skin. Let me know if you've got something else.

John

If in doubt use command line tools to search for lists that contain the addresses, then use a commandline editor (eg pico) to edit the lists directly.

eg

locate /majordomo/lists | xargs grep '[email protected]'

John, I also use the enhanced skin.

I don't know if this helps you or not, but ...

Back before you did a search by domain in the main user list I used advanced search to search for domain. equals never worked; I always had to use contained.

I don't know if that helps you find any weird thing in your code or not.

My tests were all done searching for single addresses.

Jeff

Are the emails in the list part of a multiple email address entry... ie, comma separated list? Even an extra space would throw off the search with the equals.. I'm still not able to see any problems with just a single email in the cell, using equals, searching for that single email. This would probably be one of those things I'd have to login to the affected box to see what's up, and duplicate it myself...

John

No matter what I type into 'Subscribers' I get a blank list in return. Say I am looking for [email protected] memberships, if I type '[email protected]' and choose equals or contains, or 'john' and choose contains, the table returned is empty, even though john is in seven or eight lists.

I can combine the above with similar attempts at filling in the 'Mailing List' field, but the results are the same. I have no digest subscribers and I've not put anything into 'View' because I don't know what that is searching for . . . Oh, and there's no help for searches on the site-helper.com page.

Nada. I've not been able to get the search to work at all. That's why I put up the request for help, either it's broken, or I just don't get it . . . And a fix to either one would be great.

Send us an email to [email protected], include your control panel login information and I'll see if I can duplicate the problem there.. I'm having no luck finding any problems with our build systems.

John

John,

I'm having the same problem on the server that runs the DA announce list. I can't search for subscribers.

Jeff

I have looked at transmobius's server, and similarly I could not see anything wrong .. I must be doing it differently that you... I use the "Subscriber" search table (there are 2 search tables).. so use the top one.. I paste the email address.. form my testing, but equals and contains works when 1 email is in the entry, and contains works for all cases.

So.. could you send me screenshots of both what you are entering in the fileds.. what options are selected, and the values in your address bar... and also the same info for the search result.. the full "get" line from the address bar. I'll see if I can spot anything there.

John

make sure you first click "view" list.. so that you can see the entire list of emails. If you are searching on page that just shows the list of email mailing lists.. you won't be searching emails.. you'll just be searching for a cell that shows the number of scribers. Just click "view", then search the tables on that page instead. The table searching is all the same throughout DA. If you can't see something in the table before the search, searching for that something won't make it show up ;)

John

Not sure I follow . . .

I was clicking on 'Advanced Search' on the Mailing Lists page (list of all the mailing groups) in an effort to find every instance of an address across ALL groups.

If I have to view each group I can just use my browser's find function.

to find every instance of an address across ALL groups
There is no such feature. You can only search for email addresses within a certain group. The page you are looking at cannot be used to search for any email addresses. You can only search for email address on the same page used to add address to the current list.

On the right side of the table, each mailing list has a url link called "view". When you click that, you'll be viewing the current list. One the list page, you should see 3 tables, one to add addresses, and the other 2 for the list of subscribers and digest subscribers. At the top of the subscribers table, there is an "Advanced serach" option. That is the search field you need to use to search for the address.

John

Okay, got it. I misunderstood what the funtion of the Advanced Search was on the main Mailing Lists page.

Thank you for taking the time to track this down. I must say the level of support here is FAR beyond what I was expecting (both from DA and the users).

So for this sort of 'find across all lists' I'll use:
grep $USER /etc/virtual/$DOMAIN/majordomo/lists/*

Back