DNS Plesk <> DirectAdmin

Remco00

Verified User
I have two DA boxes. All domains on these boxes use ns1 (on box 1) and ns2 (on box 2) and are 'connected' with the DA multiserver option. This works great.

Now I also have a Windows box with Plesk. I want to do something similar with Plesk as I did with the DA boxes using multiserver.

What would be the best solution to keep using ns1 and ns2 even on the Plesk box so when domains are added in Plesk, the zones are automatically being created in ns1 and ns2? Any comment is welcome!

Because Plesk uses BIND, it shouldn't be much work to install the master side of DNS Master2Slave on it, and the slave side on both DA boxes. Then change the Plesk master DNS to not show itself as a DNS server but to only show the two on the DA boxes.

This will give you a hidden master configuration and should do exactly what you need.

Of course you'll have to figure out how to install the master on Plesk, but there's no reason why it can't be done and it will work.

Jeff

Hi,

I am facing the same problem at this moment. I have two seperate DA DNS servers with 10 other DA servers that use the multiserver option. Works great.

We installed two new windows plesk servers and want all the domains added to those servers automaticly add to ns1 and ns2 on the linux DA servers.

Can you share what you have for a solution ?

Regards,
Michel.

It's called Master2Slave DNS Replicator, and it's discussed on these forums. You can download it here.

Yes, I know we call it a beta. Only because we have to fix some things in the documentation.

Jeff

I already downloaded the file before my question in this thread, I was just wondering if there were some plesk-specific adjustments ...

Thanks anyway!

Just make sure you're getting a file and putting it into a web-accessible location.

We're the authors of Master2Slave DNS Replicator; We offer installation as a paid service; please contact me through email if you're interested.

Jeff

Oke, for those who are interested in the final solution(my final solution) ;-)

The first attemt was to use master2slave from Jeff. The problem obviously was windows ;-) The combination of windows, bind, a linux-like shell, scripts etc. was not that perfect to start with.

I took some time to look for other solutions and finaly made a test machine with powerdns on it(linux, no DA installed). I used mysql as the backend.

The powerDNS server runs as a slave only, not a master. I added a record in the supermastertable for each DA serverIP with the name of the first nameserver.

On every DA server I added this to the named.conf:
also-notify { <ip of the powerdns server); };

I simple restarted named on every DA server and voilla, all domains where tranfered perfectly.

Then I started testing with a few domains. No problems, so I changed the IP of my secondary nameserver. Tested it for a week with all the domains and no problems at all.

Then I reinstalled the old DA multi-server who acted as secondary before and installed powerdns on it. No master and no slave enabled on that one. I used mysql sync to get the data from the first powerdns server.

On the plesk servers, two at this moment, I only added the also-notify to the bind.conf. Of course I changed the DNS template for the domains there.

This is all working in production now without any problems.
Few things to consider.

Deleting a domain does NOT delete the zone in powerdns automaticly. Since I use one administration system and I only delete domains through the administration system I simply delete the zone in the mysql database one and the replication does the rest.

For moving a domain to another server you have to make a script for that or delete the zone manualy before the restore.

I use poweradmin on the master for manualy checks.

So I still have only 2 nameservers for ALL of my domains no matter if they are on a DA server or on a Plesk (windos or linux) server.
I don't use/need the DA multi-server option anymore.

Back