How to prevent members from mailing on a mailing list.

modem

Verified User
Here is a question one of my clients posed to me earlier.

They have a mailing list of 100+ people from around the country. The lady is the administrator of that list and sends out periodic newsletters regarding her organization. Well someone learned if they hit reply, it goes to *everyone* and then people started replying to the reply, etc. Well I fixed that by making *ALL* replies go back to the administrator. I also fixed it so that others who are NOT on the mailing list can send email (i.e. spammers, etc).

However, one person learned that if they send a new email to the group list address, it goes to everyone still. The lady would like for the members of the list to not be able to send email on the list at all. And if replies happen, that they goto her.

How do I prevent members on the list from sending email (except the administrator)?

One way is to make the list a moderated list; that way only the list-owner will know the passsword and be able to post.

All other attempted posts will go to the moderator (the list-owner) and s/he can decide whether to approve the post, respond to it, or ignore it.

Jeff

Maybe I'm ignorant of how to get moderator status working... but when I enable the moderator option inside the control panel and fill in [email protected] for the actual moderator.

Well I use one of my accounts that is on the mailing list to send a mail to the list... it goes to the moderator account [email protected] and shows up with the following:

SUBJECT: BOUNCE [email protected]: Approval required: ...
Standard Header|Hide Pane
"[email protected]" <[email protected]>
"[email protected]" <[email protected]>

How do I approve those messages?

Back