Login failed for reseller's mail login?

Cybex

Verified User
Hi!

I recently reinstalled DirectAdmin on Fedora Core 5. There is 1 user (a reseller) that has problems with login into his email, it always says login incorrect, check password etc.
BUT if I login with SquirrelMail the user CAN login. If I try via pop3 or via uebimiau mail (/webmail) it will NOT log the user in.

What could be wrong here?

Hmm, seems only imap works for that account. Is there anywhere I can change this?

the admin or reseller has a mail same name without extension only used for internal purpose, visible by imap only (ex : squirrelmail)

answer was in forum.

I'm sorry, haven't look quite good enough it seems (in the forum). Could you point me to that topic please? I am still not able to find it :(

The mail address of the reseller has to be used for pop3. Can I somehow change the ip address of the reseller login and make a new email account so pop3 works?

xemaps said:
the admin or reseller has a mail same name without extension only used for internal purpose, visible by imap only (ex : squirrelmail)
That's just not true. You should certainly be able to use POP to read all system accounts email. I just tested it. Though you probably shouldn't, unless you're using a secure login, as you don't want to expose those passwords.

Jeff

Cybex said:
I'm sorry, haven't look quite good enough it seems (in the forum). Could you point me to that topic please? I am still not able to find it :(
I don't think you'll find a post explaining that you can't use admin or reseller aco****s as mail accounts using POP3, because you can.
The mail address of the reseller has to be used for pop3.
I'm not sure what you mean. When using admin or reseller accounts to log in for email the login name is simply the account name, NOT the email address. And the password is the same as you use to log in for ftp or through the control panel.
Can I somehow change the ip address of the reseller login and make a new email account so pop3 works?
That depends on why you're having the problem.

You can't tell anything by the error the email client returns. You'll need to check the server log to see what's happening:
Code:
# grep username /var/log/maillog
Jeff

Hmm, I said I wanted to change the ip address of a reseller in my previous post. That should, offcourse, be "e-mail address" :)

I did a grep in the maillog file, this is the result:

Code:
Dec 24 12:21:50 web2 vm-pop3d[28005]: User '[email protected]' - failed auth, from=x.x.x.x
Dec 24 12:21:56 web2 imapd[28121]: Login user=john host=xx.xxxx.xxx [x.x.x.x]

A little bit editted, but I think the message is clear. The error is not though. As you can see, I CAN login with imap, but I CANNOT login with pop3.

jlasman said:
That's just not true. You should certainly be able to use POP to read all system accounts email. I just tested it. Though you probably shouldn't, unless you're using a secure login, as you don't want to expose those passwords.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,
I tried, and you're right, now it runs with pop TOO.
I'd like to know when it was changed, or with which upgrade.

I have no idea, but I presume before I started using DA somewhere around three years ago, since it's always worked for me.

POP3 retrieval of very large email accounts will appear to not work, as your local MUA will time out waiting for the download.

Jeff

I asked DirectAdmin staff to change the license to Fedora Core 4 as I never had problems with FC4 (now running with FC5). We'll see how that works :)

xemaps,

In checking the version control system today I found that back on September 1st, 2003, DA released version 1.193, which solved a problem with exim not properly authenticating system accounts:
For exim to be able to authenticate system accounts, it read the user's shadow file from ~username/.shadow. This file wasn't being properly updated when the User changed his DirectAdmin password, so he would get an "invalid username/password"
Could this have been your problem?

Jeff

jlasman said:
xemaps,

In checking the version control system today I found that back on September 1st, 2003, DA released version 1.193, which solved a problem with exim not properly authenticating system accounts:

Could this have been your problem?

Jeff

I'm recent user with DA (early 2006), so it was not this one
could be something with external reasons like vmpop3 or basic DA conf not well set up by the datacenter (not DA team!).

Just so you know, a re-installation of my entire system did the trick. I moved back to Fedora Core 4 and everything seems to work much better then with FC5!

It's working again :)

Back