SpamBlocker3 exim.conf file now ready for Beta testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobaloney

NoBaloney Internet Svcs - In Memoriam †
Edited 20-may-2008 to clear up confusion about multiple beta versions of Spamblocker3

SpamBlocker3 exim.conf file is now ready for Beta testing. Please feel free to give it your best shot, to try it, or just to look at it.

Note the following information was correct for SpamBlocker version 3-beta:

There are four versions, one each for:

DA with original style mailboxes.

DA with original style mailboxes and ClamAV support.

DA with Dovecot Maildir mailboxes.

DA with Dovecot Maildir mailboxes and ClamAV support.

Note that SpamBlocker version 3.1-beta works only on DirectAdmin servers running Maildir. For more information see the Important Note at the top of this page, and also the MUST-READ-FIRST.txt file, the ReadMe-SpamBlocker.3.1.txt file, and line three of the download file itself: exim.conf.3.1-beta, all linkable from that page.

SpamBlocker3 eixm.conf with ClamAV support has been tested with the ClamAV installation described here, but with the latest version of ClamAV as described here.

I simply followed the instructions in the first post, but used version number 88.7 wherever the instructions showed version 87.1.

Don't forget to use the latest version of exim.pl, with the new beta versions, and also to save your old exim.conf and your old exim.pl before updating.

The beta versions can be found here:

http://www.nobaloney.net/downloads/spamblocker/DirectAdminSpamBlocker3/

Jeff

Hey,

If you used Wale's HOW TO: All in 1 (located here) to install/update ClamAV, then the "av_scanner" line is a bit different.

It would be like this:

Code:
av_scanner = clamd:/tmp/clamd

Thought this was worth mentioning.

David

If it's spamblocker 3.0 version, this mean i use myblockerversion 10.0 ! ;)

even sa spamcheck_director is not modified :/

Hope beta not including lot of tests you will include in final.

You don't need system_filter but can include these test in exim.conf mime

Please correct clamd socket to av_scanner = clamd:/tmp/clamd to be compliant with all wael's scripts, like David said.

Jeff,

I understand that you no longer have dealings with the "SpamBlocker Plugin" however, do you know if it will work with Version 3 of exim.conf? I currently have one server using the plugin. I'm curious if the plugin will continue to work if I upgrade that system to Version 3 of exim.conf.

btw, I have upgrade a couple other servers (not running the plugin) to the exim.conf V3 beta and they are working great.

Hey,

I don't think it will without modifications...

I say that because we're making some modifications to our Exim Editor Plugin in order for it to be fully compatible with Version 3.

Among other things, there's a new file that comes in to play for ClamAV and four variations on the exim.conf file as well.

However, I could be wrong!

David

by the way, the best way is to make your own exim.conf

actual spamblocker is just a few block containing files some rules and external files.

Possible this can be rewrited and activated with MACRO language in exim.conf

xemaps said:
If it's spamblocker 3.0 version, this mean i use myblockerversion 10.0 ! ;)
You can use whatever you want. You've been complaining about SpamBlocker for some time now, but you've never been willing to share anything with the rest of us; you just keep telling us you're better.

I'm glad you're better than the rest of us. Will you share your methods with us? Or just keep complaining?

Remember that while you can certainly do whatever you want for your systems; SpamBlocker doesn't have that luxury; SpamBlocker has to work for all of us, and still be maintainable.

We write SpamBlocker to work as part of DA for all DA users, not just those who use the All-in-1 script, or who don't, or who use Dovecot, or who use mbox, or who use ClamAV, or who don't use ClamAV.

If you have something to share, please do. You can create a thread either in DirectAdmin-related Products and Services [Advertising Forum] or in 3rd Party Software, as I did when I first started the SpamBlocker project, before John and Mark decided to include it in DA.

Thanks.

Jeff

skruf said:
If you used Wale's HOW TO: All in 1 (located here) to install/update ClamAV, then the "av_scanner" line is a bit different.

It would be like this:

Code:
av_scanner = clamd:/tmp/clamd
Thanks, David. I don't use the All-in-1 script (though I may decide to do so at some time in the future; I searched these forums and picked a standalone ClamAV to install when I first started experimenting with ClamAV, and that's what I use.

If Wael or someone else is willing to write a stand-alone script to install ClamAV then we can consider using that in SpamBlocker, but there will always be a default option set, and instructions for changing it as necessary.

Jeff

rocketcity said:
I understand that you no longer have dealings with the "SpamBlocker Plugin" however, do you know if it will work with Version 3 of exim.conf? I currently have one server using the plugin. I'm curious if the plugin will continue to work if I upgrade that system to Version 3 of exim.conf.
I don't know and I recommend you contact Onno for that information. He has the same access to the SpamBlocker3 beta code as everyone else :) .
btw, I have upgrade a couple other servers (not running the plugin) to the exim.conf V3 beta and they are working great.
Thanks.

Jeff

xemaps said:
by the way, the best way is to make your own exim.conf
For you. Have you considered that many DA users may have neither the expertise nor the time to do that?
actual spamblocker is just a few block containing files some rules and external files.
Oh. The original SpamBlocker took months of figuring out what to do; we started it just after Exim4 came out (if I recall correctly, DA first came with exim3), even before anyone had experiences with writing an exim.conf file for exim4.

We started by changing what gets logged so we could see how it does or doesn't work.

We made a fundamental change to the original exim.conf file, which accepted email even for non-existent users, and then tried to bounce it back if it wasn't deliverable.
Possible this can be rewrited and activated with MACRO language in exim.conf
Macros aren't a cureall for everything. Since they're simple text replacements (there really isn't a macro language, such as M4 for sendmail.cf, for exim). So macros may not work anywhere; for example a macro that requires text expansion will only work where text expansion works.

In my opinion, exim macros save time at the expense of flexibility, and sometimes of full understanding.

That said, you certainly may write a version of exim.conf that uses macros, and offer it to the community.

However this thread is for discussing SpamBlocker3, not other ways to do what it does. Please post in the proper location to avoid having your posts deleted.

Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff,

just my 1 cent post,

I'm not complaining, i'd like to see you'll work on a real new true version, rather than replacing your outdated 'new' spamblocker 3
The spam from today has nothing to do with old way spamming.

I have no time, and be not paid to work for this, and play with your conf.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: balance snipped

Interesting ... you dont' do it unless you get paid but you criticize those of us who attempt to do it freely.

Please write your own.

Leave us alone until/unless you have something positive to offer us.

This is a thread for positive discussion about SpamBlocker3. Not for continuing to say you can do it better but you won't.

Jeff

Also please don't post your old spamblocker again since it is obsolete before you post it.

I was offering to participate, but you just deleted the chapter from my post !
( called MODERATOR'S NOTE: balance snipped )

So stay with your obsolete file.

xemaps said:
Also please don't post your old spamblocker again since it is obsolete before you post it.

I was offering to participate, but you just deleted the chapter from my post !
( called MODERATOR'S NOTE: balance snipped )

So stay with your obsolete file.

Got a pet 'Troll' Jeff ?

Let's keep comments positive please, and criticism only if something of value can be offered with such comments. One post is sufficient, no need to go back and forth.

Mark

Yes. I agree with Mark completely. Lets keep things professional. I have enough of these romper-room threads on other lists. Maybe we need a forum titled:

Romper Room - A place for users to work out their differences where others need not be privy to them unless they want to be.

And of course the first topic.... Maps vs Boloney

I was going to do a ring announcer segment but that might illustrate my opinions of the contenders which would definately be bias and certainly counter productive. ;-)

Now I am off to check out V3 and to fuse my SA into it.

Big Wil

dnslists

Jeff, perhaps better to use:

dnslists = sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org
dnslists = combined.njabl.org

Instead of? In addition to?

Please be very specific and give reasons... I'm open to discussion.

Thanks.

Jeff

dnslists = sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org instead of dnslists = sbl.spamhaus.org

dnslists = combined.njabl.org instead of dnslists = dnsbl.njabl.org

There is lots of info about these issues on this forum. Just query on it and you will find the answers. Making the suggested changes a few months ago in your much appreciated SpamBlocker, saved us from a lot of spam.

Remco00 said:
dnslists = sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org instead of dnslists = sbl.spamhaus.org
Here's what spamhaus says on their site:
Mail servers already using cbl.abuseat.org should NOT also use xbl.spamhaus.org or you will be making 'double' queries to basically the same data source and only one DNSBL will appear to work (the other(s) will appear to not catch anything). Mail servers already using dnsbl.njabl.org are advised to continue doing so, as dnsbl.njabl.org is itself a composite list and contains more than the open proxy IPs list part now incorporated in XBL.

See: http://www.spamhaus.org/xbl/

We include both dnsbl.njabl.org and spamhaus themselves tell us that we should continue to do what we do. They say we'd lose a lot of blocks if we stopped using cbl and started using xbl.
dnslists = combined.njabl.org instead of dnslists = dnsbl.njabl.org
Maybe. It's passed my preliminary testing.
There is lots of info about these issues on this forum. Just query on it and you will find the answers.
Query on what? blocklist names? I found no useful hits for xbl.spamhaus.org or for njabl.org.
Making the suggested changes a few months ago in your much appreciated SpamBlocker, saved us from a lot of spam.
Real spam? Or perceived spam? If you left the order of the blocklists alone in your exim.conf, but merely edited the names, thenyou're seeing more blocks from spamhaus at the expense of catching then in blocklists further down in exim.conf.

If you're going to do tests on blocklist efficiency you should do at least one week each with the different lists at the top of the heap.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back