Being redirected to a website when create/delete subdomain

andyM

Verified User
This is a weird one. Got my host baffled...(which does worry me a little actually!)

When i create/delete any subdomain for any user i get redirected to someone elses website not on the same server/host.

Why could this be happening? The host say they cannot recreate the same error from where they are...

Hello,

That's because the dns will be cached by your ISPs nameservers, so the subdomain will still resolve to the server.

The changes to the server happen within a minute (vs 4 hour dns cache) so you'll end up lookin at the first virtualhost on that IP address.

Usually, you should only see either the apache welcome page, or the "this ip is being shared among many domains" page.

If your seeing someone elses page, then the /etc/httpd/conf/ips.conf file is missing a VH, or the ips aren't setup correctly.

The host wouldn't get the error you do because they dont have the same dns cache (they don't use your ISP's nameservers)

John

But this isn't when i navigate to the subdomain via a browser, it's when i click "create" or "delete" a subdomain within the admin cp! As soon as i click the button to do the function, i get redirected to this website that has nothing to do with the server/me/my host.

What is the website? What browser do you have? Maybe you have a trojan on your computer that sends you do some ad site every now and then. No other reports of that occurance, I'm assuming it's isolated incident relating to your browser.

John

www[dot]barnonedrinks[dot]com
firefox 1.5

just tested in IE and it works fine....

then just tried again to create a subdomain in FF and i got taken to a different site this time. I don't get this any other time other than when i click to create/delete a subdomain in DA....all other browsing doesn't get redirected! Weird.

Back