IMAP + nested folders

teedee

Verified User
Hi,

I don't use IMAP myself, but have had a couple of clients complain that they are not able to use nested folders with DA IMAP

Anyone know if this is tru, and if so can anything be done about it ?

Which version of IMAP are you using? I use Dovecot, and don't have any problem with folders or sub-folders. If I remember right, the UW-IMAP does not support folders that support both messages and sub-folders. Some email clients also must be told to support that type of functionality.

Hi tom,

Thanks for the reply.

I am just using the default DA IMAP whatever that is.

Any advice on installing dovecot and does it affect any other mail services ?

Installing Dovecot is not that hard, but it does do a few things you need to be aware of. It replaces the vm-pop3d so, it handles both IMAP and pop3. It also uses Maildir instead of mbox, so all your mbox files need to be converted to the Maildir format.

The install of Dovecot takes care of that, but it has a few unwanted side effects, such as all the emails get marked as unread. This won't affect pop3 users too much, but IMAP users will have to remark all their emails.

Changes are also made to the /etc/exim.conf so that delivery to Maildir will happen, but you need to be aware of that, if you try to replace it with another version. You would need to make the Maildir changes to it if you upgrade it in the future.

Do a search for todovecot and it will show you how to install dovecot.

Hi,

thanks.

I currently have about 400 mail accounts on the server I would want to install this on, the majority are pop so that won't be an issue.

I have looked through the forums and seen how to install dovecot, it seems pretty easy. I am just a bit concerned about installing it on a production server in case it messes anything up as I noticed a couple of other have had issues with it.

does anything need doing to mbox or is it just ignored after the dovecot installation ?

It certainly wouldn't hurt to make a quick backup of all email related files such as
tar cvzf /path_to/saved_email.tar /var/mail /var/virtual /home/*/Mail /home/*/mail
or something similar, I don't remember the exact directories that email used with the pre-Dovecot programs.

I also did a few dry runs on a test server that was a duplicate of a live server, just to be extra sure. I personally didn't have any problems. I think the majority of the problems have been worked out with the more recent versions of DA.

Back