RoundCube

What if you make the following?

create just the forwarding and send the mail using the "default" account of directadmin as auth for outgoing mail?

Let's say you want all mail arriving to [email protected] go to [email protected]. Now your login to DA interface is ed, so you configure outlook to auth outgoing mails using username "ed" and your password, and create a forward so all incoming mail to [email protected] goes to [email protected]

It should work, yet I have never done that. From what I know if you make a forward it doesn't goes to the inbox as well, yet I don't use Dovecot/Maildir (yet)

What if you make the following?

create just the forwarding and send the mail using the "default" account of directadmin as auth for outgoing mail?

Let's say you want all mail arriving to [email protected] go to [email protected]. Now your login to DA interface is ed, so you configure outlook to auth outgoing mails using username "ed" and your password, and create a forward so all incoming mail to [email protected] goes to [email protected]

It should work, yet I have never done that. From what I know if you make a forward it doesn't goes to the inbox as well, yet I don't use Dovecot/Maildir (yet)

jca..

I'll try it on a domain that I have sitting around but that format will not do my customers any good without getting involved in a lengthy description of "How to Forward Emails" ...

Ed

Last edited:
Hi jca..

Huh????:confused:

You have to have an email address before you can forward it and in order to have an email address you have to create it in the DA admin panel...

No you dont have to have an email address in order to forward it. If you just create a forwarder the mail server will except mail for that account and forward it on.

If you have both a forwarder and an email account setup then both happens, both meaning local delivery and forwarding.

Also, If I want to sendmail from Outlook or any other program, I have to have the ability create email accounts which require the following info..

Username: [email protected]
Password: xxxx
Pop3 Server: mail.anysite.com
Smtp Server: mail.anysite.com

The customer could set up like this:
forwarder:
[email protected] -> [email protected]

email account:
user name: [email protected]

and configure outlook to send via this account but set the rply to address in outlook to be [email protected]

Problem is, the minute I create an account, the default WEBMAIL program duplicates and stores the emails that are being passed through the server using up valuable disc space..

First off Roundcube is not the default webmail client, squirrel mail is. Second round cube is beta and still has a lot of work before it should be used in production.

Third roundcube or whatever webmail client you use with the exception of Ubuntue does not store your emails anywhere, they simply check IMAP which IMAP is a maildir provided by dovecot.

e.g.. You send me an email to [email protected] (anysite.com is hosted on my server and is administered using DA software). If I were to use ONLY the default WEBMAIL program all is fine.. The mail stops and is stored on the server and I log into RoundCube, check my mail and respond to those that I want to and delete the ones I don't. Don't get me wrong, It's OK for those that want to follow that procedure... THe problem arises when you have more than one website.. :)

Personally I don't like browser based email programs so I forward all mail that comes in for ALL my sites to an address my ISP created for me, which I administer via Outlook EXpress...

This way I don't have to keep logging into 20 different email programs on the server (one for each site I run), in order to check my mail for each domain name..

If I want to send mail from a specific domain name e.g. [email protected], I create an account in Outlook so I don't have to reveal my primary email address when I send mail.. THe person responds by sending mail to [email protected] which is then passsed through the server and forwarded on to me.

Okay this is just wierd, you are telling me in outlook you are creating mail accounts to send mail but dont want to have to check those accounts with outlook? You are not doing anything more than you already have done. I think you need to rethink your process here.

I can offer a solution for your needs, we use a product called Saeven|CRM formerly known as Auracle Support. We use this system to manage all our websites and all the email accounts on those websites get piped into specific categories. Each staff member we want to have access to specific email accounts can be granted those permissions. If it is just you well its a good way to keep track of everything. All emails are automatically delivered to your desktop in a nice little instant messenger like interface. I beleive free trials are available and the product is extremely affordable.

Besides that, when using the forwarding feature in DA the mail has to pass through all the wonderful spam filters on the server thus blocking out all garbage that the spammers send before it gets to me...

Saeven|CRM can add even more protection with spam.

Once a day I log into the server as admin click on "Mail Queue Administration" and bounce all the garbage that is being sent to all the email address's on the server.. I look forward to doing that on a daily basis LOL.. :D :D

Ed

Hmm sounds like there is a configuration issue that needs to be addressed if you have a daily mail queue build up.

WOW.. QuantumNet Thanks for the expalantion..

6 months I've had this software and I was under the assumption that you had to create an email account before you could forward it.. LOL.. Just goes to show that you can be over 55 and stil learn something new every day... :)

Will delete the suggestion on the suggestion thread .. :p

First off Roundcube is not the default webmail client, squirrel mail is. Second round cube is beta and still has a lot of work before it should be used in production.

Third roundcube or whatever webmail client you use with the exception of Ubuntue does not store your emails anywhere, they simply check IMAP which IMAP is a maildir provided by dovecot.

Thanks for the heads up... The fellow that installed DA when I first bought the server, highly recommended it and it wasn't up until a couple of days ago that I realized what a slug it really is when I started to delete the email messages it was storing... :(

Okay this is just wierd, you are telling me in outlook you are creating mail accounts to send mail but dont want to have to check those accounts with outlook? You are not doing anything more than you already have done. I think you need to rethink your process here.

Actually I just checked a couple of acconts that I have set up on outlook and email address that is actually sending the mail is the one my ISP gave me mail account name is hiding the actual sender... :)

Wiil see what happens when I actually create a pop3 account on the server and use the account information to set it up in Outlook..

Will be interesting to see if Roundcube still stores duplicates..

Ed

Alrightee... Looks good.. No duplicate emails being stored but now its sending duplicate mail to the receiver.. :(

I wouldn't do that with passwords unless I was using secure AUTH, since otherwise every time you sent email you'd be sending the main password for the domain in cleartext.

Also, if you had multiple users doing this each one would have the main password which they could use to change the site, make drastic changes, accidentally or purosely delete everything, etc.

You're right in that if you create a forwarder and not a mailbox the mail only goes to the forward address. I thought I'd made that clear; perhaps I wasn't as clear as I thought I was.

Jeff

client@localhost

Hello!

I have this problem when my client try to send a email with RC
on the sender email address is not the domain name but client@localhost!
how i can fix that?

Thanks!

Edit /var/www/html/roundcube/config/main.inc.php and change localhost with your hostname.

Thanks,

The best way for me is leve blank on

/var/www/html/roundcube/config/main.inc.php

so evry client can choose the server name!

I tried to update to RC2 using this script and I got the following error:

Code:
ERROR 1142 (42000) at line 6 in file: 'SQL/mysql.update.sql': ALTER command denied to user 'da_roundcube'@'localhost' for table 'messages'

It's fixed in CustomBuild 1.1 too :)

i am using centos 4.4 and da. When i click folders in personal settings, i see a little screen with connection to imap server failed? Roundcube will log me out aswell after that message

howto fix that?

thanks

Last edited:
Does roundcube have any sort of addon so I can have message filters. To do things like automatically move new emails to certain folders, delete certain email... etc

install issue

I installed roundcube and the script says it was installed successfully here is the output:

Code:
[root@server1 scripts]# ./roundcube.sh
cp: `/var/www/html/roundcube/logs/errors' and `/var/www/html/roundcubemail-0.1-r                    c2/logs/errors' are the same file
cp: cannot stat `/var/www/html/roundcube/temp/*': No such file or directory
Editing roundcube configuration...
Roundcube has been installed successfully.
Adding roundcube alias to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
You need to restart the httpd service if you want alias to work.

But when I try to access roundcube from a browser I just get a blank page.

Any Ideas on what I'm missing.

I installed roundcube and the script says it was installed successfully here is the output:

Code:
[root@server1 scripts]# ./roundcube.sh
cp: `/var/www/html/roundcube/logs/errors' and `/var/www/html/roundcubemail-0.1-r                    c2/logs/errors' are the same file
cp: cannot stat `/var/www/html/roundcube/temp/*': No such file or directory
Editing roundcube configuration...
Roundcube has been installed successfully.
Adding roundcube alias to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
You need to restart the httpd service if you want alias to work.

But when I try to access roundcube from a browser I just get a blank page.

Any Ideas on what I'm missing.

script tell you to restart httpd :)

/etc/init.d/httpd restart

rouncube as default webmail

Has anybody tried to do so?
I would like to replace squirrelmail with roundcube in my next new VPS /roundcube a bit long a not-easy to write url, /webmail is better and roundcube deserves a better luck....

I wish they could use sqlite instead of MySQL to make the installation even easier.

What IMAP scheme are you using mbox or Maildir.
If you have so many email messages you should use Maildir
(tip: read about Dovecot).

So now the other issue.. RoundCube is a SLUG!!!.... When logging in, it tries to upload all the emails that it has stored in the program PRIOR to allowing you access inside. I have one site that has 1622 emails stored in there and here I sit waiting for the software to open while it attempts to preload all the emails... (I can see the counter just a spinning in the bottom left hand corner of the screen)..

Back