External DNS

I'm looking forward to when we don't have to use a "hack" to make DA think that we are running DNS on it.

jlasman said:

DA has advised that the proper way to change a template is to first copy it to:

/usr/local/directadmindata/templates/custom

And make the changes to it there. They've pledged to not overwrite files in the custom subdirectory.

I'm new with da, so it didn't know that. Thank you for bringing this up to my mind.

blacknight said:
I'm looking forward to when we don't have to use a "hack" to make DA think that we are running DNS on it.
I'm running BIND on a lot of DA servers, and I'd love to know what you mean, since I haven't had to hack anything.

Jeff

We do not run DNS on any servers running control panels as we have a proper redundant DNS system for this.

If we ran Bind on each and every server on our network our clients would have to use crazy hostnames like ns45.domain.tld

Then what do you mean?

I don't see any other posts from you on this thread.

You can always use the "hidden master" approach.

Far from being a "hack", the hidden master approach is a recognized way to update public masters.

What would you like to see?

Jeff

blacknight said:
We do not run DNS on any servers running control panels as we have a proper redundant DNS system for this.

If we ran Bind on each and every server on our network our clients would have to use crazy hostnames like ns45.domain.tld

Nothing against crazy hostnames ;)
We use 2 real servers for DNS stuff, all other servers just send stuff to those 2 servers.
So server 3 also has DNS capabilities, but they're not used, due to the fact our primairy and secundairy DNS (ns1.domain.com through ns4.domain.com) are doing all the real work.

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

It's still in the design phase, but won't take too long once it's figured out.

Multi-server *everthing* will eventually be added, but other services are much farther off.

John

John

Are you able to supply an eta or give some progression indication on this?

regards

Jon

jlasman said:
Then what do you mean?

I don't see any other posts from you on this thread.

You can always use the "hidden master" approach.

Far from being a "hack", the hidden master approach is a recognized way to update public masters.

What would you like to see?

Jeff

This thread is very confusing now and like most users I would like to manage external nameservers (at least ONE primary - no slave).

Basically,

server 1 2 3 are for my customers and 4 is the nameserver (with ns1 and ns2 setup). All servers are running DA.

How the DNS modifications of my customers (pointers, sub-domains) can be transmitted to server A automatically?

Thank you.

jjma said:
And an eta on when DA will incorporate external dns in the control panel.

regards

Jon

How is this done now ?
Is it only possible to have the DNS on the DA machine ?
If so, how does blacknight do it ?

We're waiting on our programmer to fix one small issue before we offer a free script to manage slave DNS on an external DNS server.

Jeff

Is this post somewhere or are there other options comming for external master and slave DNS

This thread was never updated but there's a product announcement elsewhere on these forums.

The download is here.

Jeff

The script hasn't changed. Many of us use it.

The reason I haven't taken it out of beta is because for us it sometimes finds and reports duplicates when there aren't any (and therefore doesn't slave those domains until the next time it runs).

Has anyone else noticed this?

The dupechecking routine is currently written in perl, a write once / read never :) language.

Is anyone volunteering to debug it? To rewrite it, perhaps in PHP?

Jeff

I'm in the process of implementing a hidden master-setup, and I've approached the challenge of keeping zones up-to-date on the slaves a little differently. I'll post my result when I'm done.. Not exactly a rewrite per say, but still it might be useful.

Back