Questions before converting from CPanel To DA

GPNHosting

Verified User
CPane's Support of FreeBSD is worse than Britney spears' quick marriage. I've decided that CPanel is more about making their panels work with many different systems rather than helping fix their bugs and make it actually work on the systems they state on their website.

1) I have the following partitions set up for my computer:

1 GB for /
1 GB for /tmp
1 GB for /dev
1 GB for /proc
2 GB for /var

Rest To /usr

Is this allright or do I need something else?

2)I will be doing a fresh install of the box and I have a backup drive on my second HD. How hard is it to restore CPanel backups onto DA accounts?

3)If I purchase licenses in quantity, is a discount available?

GPNHosting said:
CPane's Support of FreeBSD is worse than Britney spears' quick marriage. I've decided that CPanel is more about making their panels work with many different systems rather than helping fix their bugs

Never really noticed bug fixes with cp, although I still see the same problems occuring today as I did a year ago with it!

GPNHosting said:
1) I have the following partitions set up for my computer:

1 GB for /
1 GB for /tmp
1 GB for /dev
1 GB for /proc
2 GB for /var

Rest To /usr

Is this allright or do I need something else?

You need to *totally* remove cpanel - not the easiest of jobs - if you are not sure how to do it I would advise you to hire someone that does or simply do a system re-image / restore to get rid of it.

Recommended partioning can be found within the install guide:

http://directadmin.com/install.html

GPNHosting said:

2)I will be doing a fresh install of the box and I have a backup drive on my second HD. How hard is it to restore CPanel backups onto DA accounts?

Create domain in DA > restore http / https folder data > restore mail > create mysql db's > restore mysql dbs etc

you may have problems *keeping* old mail passwords apart from that you should be ok :)

GPNHosting said:
3)If I purchase licenses in quantity, is a discount available?

Unless you resell licenses with dedicated servers you provide, the option is not currently available... it may come with the reselling, If that is the case I will leave Mark or John to comment :)

Chris

Well the partitioning doesn't look as complicated :).
I did notice that they wanted a /home directory correct?

Is this what needs to be done for FreeBSD since this seems to be partitioning for Linux. I need a confirmation that this needs to be done with FreeBSD.

Hello,

It's doesn't require a /home partition. I believe on FreeBSD, it uses a symbolic link to /usr/home from /home, but DA doesn't care where the home is. The only thing to watch is that the quotas are added to the /usr partition.

You've also sent us an email with the same questions, which we've replied to.

John

Yes, here is something interesting for FreeBSD that I have totally forgotten about. /home is a good idea to have if a web site has its own user and home directory. This is very good if you wish to use jailshell or other types for freebsd. I just added this note for future reference for other FreeBSD customers that might need this.

Good Specifications for Partitioning:
This is if you have an 80 GB HD.
SWAP: 2*Memory Size
1 GB for /
2 GB for /proc
5 GB for /var
5 GB for /usr
500 MB for /boot
Rest to /home

If I am wrong anywhere, please help me fix this :).

Last edited:
Back