Announce each new DA version as new thread in a special forum

tautom

Verified User
If you announce each new DA version as a new topic in a special forum, users can subscribe to this forum and get an subscription email each time DA is coming out with a new version.

vbulletin.com is also doing that in their announcment forums.

Is it really that difficult to make a new email just to receive DA updates that maybe forwards to your real email to hide your real email should you decide to stop? Maybe sign up for a free email at gmail and set it up to forward and save a copy? Or even add the gmail account to your mail program like Thunderbird and have it use its own inbox to store it all?

Is it really that difficult to make a new email just to receive DA updates that maybe forwards to your real email to hide your real email should you decide to stop? Maybe sign up for a free email at gmail and set it up to forward and save a copy? Or even add the gmail account to your mail program like Thunderbird and have it use its own inbox to store it all?

I have made a suggestion to let directadmin.com really easy adress forum members and send them mails each time new version come up.

I thought there is an official directadmin mailinglist out there, but there isn't.

So I think my suggestion to make up a new forum "DA Version announcements" and write a new thread / post each time a new version is coming out makes definitely sense. As this way, I do not have to subscribe to another service, instead I can just use this forum software to keep up-to-date!

DA mailing list is not from directadmin.com I am not giving my email adress to people I do not trust.

You would be giving your email address to someone who already has access to your email address.

Ok think about this: You already gave your email address when joining this forum. Who runs the da-announce mailing list? Is this same person also a major contributor and moderator to this list? The answer is yes. So my original statement stands. I just didn't think I would have to go into so much detail.

Although Jeff hosts the list it's only John (DA staff) that posts to it. I don't see why we need even more forum clutter when what your asking for is already done.

Like floyd said, I don't understand how you can have trust issues with the person that hosts the list when he is a administrator on this forum so therefore he already has your email if he really wants it that bad although I'm sure he doesn't.

Grant

Time for me to respond to this thread.

I own daserversolutions.com and I set up a mailing list there (I don't yet use the domain for anything else). I set up the list a long time ago and offered it to John, of DirectAdmin, and he accepted.

That way I administer the list, and John doesn't have to worry about excepetions such as undelivered messages, spam to the list (which bounces to me), and people who want to subscribe from addresses other than that they write in from (which I approve).

Except in an emergency (so far only one time) John is the only person who's ever posted to the list. I've posted once. No one complained.

I subscribe to the list. As one of the administrators of the forum, I suppose that every time John posts about a new version I could log onto the forum and create a new thread. However that's something I don't think I want to do; it takes time out of my day and it's a responsibility I'd rather avoid.

I suppose John could do so as well. And if he does or not is entirely up to him, but it's just something else he'd have to do, so we'll leave that up to him. Personally, I think he works hard enough.

Am I ever going to misuse the list? No. I'm well known among some of the anti-spam community, and I'm an avid anti-spammer. I've been anti-spam since spam was invented; and if I recall correctly that was about the same time I built my first webhosting company, in 1995.

I'm also the author of the SpamBlocker exim.conf file included in DirectAdmin. Did I write some kind of backdoor in it to harvest email addresses? Of course not.

Nor do I use the email addresses that people use when they join this forum, even though I could. When I need to reach someone, if they have their account set up to accept emails, and the forum dropdown box shows the email option, I use it; otherwise I use the PM system.

I believe I've proved my integrity.

But if you don't, then of course don't subscribe to the list.

Jeff

I subscribed to this list. I believe in your integrity.

Just was looking for some "easy" official way of subscribing to a da update mail "there's a new version coming out" solution. But if there's none, thank you for your help.

I subscribed to this list. I believe in your integrity.
Thanks.
Just was looking for some "easy" official way of subscribing to a da update mail "there's a new version coming out" solution. But if there's none, thank you for your help.
I believe it's as official as we're going to get. A few people suggested it; I offered to set it up, and DA staff accepted :) .

Jeff

Back