Custombuild is out of beta.

Is custombuild working fine on your system?

• Total voters
FYI, I had just seen this on a 64-bit box (centos 5) and even with -fPIC wasn't able to sort it out. I did a full openssl removal and reinstall (very carefully) but couldn't get past this error with php4. I then used php5 and it all went smoothly. (custombuild php4, and customapache php4 had the error).

So I guess the moral of the story is use php5 for new systems. (unless the issue can be resolved some other way, but I couldn't find it)

John

I recently did a custombuild on a 64-bit CentOS 5.3 system with php4=cli and kept running into the "relocation R_X86_64_32S against a local symbol" problem. I see this reported all over the Internet and in many places in the DirectAdmin forums. First, a web page that discusses this problem and possible solutions:

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=3

A forum user proposed a solution (URL below) that did not work for me. I did "yum install libtool" and then made a symlink with "ln -sf /usr/lib64/libltdl.a /usr/local/lib/libltdl.a". But the symlink gets replaced by an improperly-built library during the build.

http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22579

The following small patch to '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/build' (revision BUILDSCRIPT_VER=1.1.18) worked for me. It causes the Makefile for libltdl to be patched so it uses -fPIC to build libltdl.

Code:
# rcsdiff -u -r1.1 build
===================================================================
RCS file: RCS/build,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -u -r1.1 build
--- build       2009/07/29 02:36:31     1.1
+++ build       2009/08/16 11:57:24
@@ -4474,6 +4474,9 @@
                echo "Doing extra /libltdl for mcrypt..";
                cd libltdl
                ./configure --enable-ltdl-install
+
+               # Must build libltds with -fPIC. R.D.
+               perl -pi.bak -e '/^CFLAGS/ && ! /-fPIC/ && s/$/ -fPIC/;' Makefile
                make
                make install
                echo "Done extra /libltdl for mcrypt.";

I don't advise applying this patch unless you need it, as it has only been tested by me on a single host.

I have a fully operational server BSD 6 which does not has custombuild installed.
I would love to have cb but I'm afraid that updating a live server will cause problems like apache is now 1.3 and goes to 2.2 etc.

Can I savely install custombuild?

Thanks

You probably can; we did. To make life simpler, do NOT change any versions of anything while you convert to CustomBuild; do that later.

Note, however, that we use CentOS; we do NOT use FreeBSD. While I don't believe it will make a difference for you, I cannot guarantee that.

Jeff

Urgent please

a new clean install and i have this error for build php5

/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/custom/suphp/configure.php5: line 28: --enable-ftp: command not found

i did it :

cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build php n

i have this on the file

#!/bin/sh
"./configure" \
"--prefix=/usr/local/php5" \
"--enable-force-cgi-redirect" \
"--enable-fastcgi" \
"--with-config-file-path=/usr/local/etc/php5/cgi" \
"--with-curl=/usr/local/lib" \
"--with-gd" \
"--with-gettext" \
"--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/lib" \
"--with-freetype-dir=/usr/local/lib" \
"--with-kerberos" \
"--with-openssl" \
"--with-mcrypt" \
"--with-mhash" \
"--with-mysql=/usr" \
"--with-mysqli=/usr/bin/mysql_config" \
"--with-pear" \
"--with-png-dir=/usr/local/lib" \
"--with-zlib" \
"--with-zlib-dir=/usr/local/lib" \
"--enable-zip" \
"--enable-gd-native-ttf" \
"--with-iconv=/usr/local" \
"--enable-bcmath" \
"--enable-calendar" \
"--enable-ftp" \
"--enable-magic-quotes" \
"--enable-sockets" \
"--enable-exif" \
"--enable-soap" \
"--enable-pdo=shared" \
"--with-pdo-mysql=shared" \
"--with-sqlite=shared" \
"--with-pdo-sqlite=shared" \
"--with-dom=/usr/lib" \
"--with-dom-exslt=/usr/lib" \
"--with-dom-xslt=/usr/lib" \
"--enable-xslt" \
"--with-xslt" \
"--enable-mbstring"

/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/custom/suphp/configure.php5: line 28: --enable-ftp: command not found

so why please ?

The error message "--enable-ftp: command not found" suggests that /bin/sh is trying to execute "--enable-ftp" as a command. In the file you included, I see that the line before "--enable-ftp" seems to end with a backslash. But does it really?

Could it be that that backslash is followed by a blank or tab?

A.

Back