The service 'exim' on server xxx is currently down

tsiou

Verified User
Hi,
some days ago i compiled exim from source and managed to make it work with the da system. The problem is that every hour i get a message on admin email says that exim is down (exim works ok). I believe that da every hour checks with a ps auxw or something for the exim process and thinks that exim is down.
Da exim is under /usr/sbin/exim and freebsd's under /usr/local/bin/exim
I have a link from /usr/sbin/exim to /usr/local/bin/exim but the service still seems stopped.
Also every minute i get a line in exims mainlog :
2007-06-25 16:23:25 exim 4.67 daemon started: pid=58875, -q1h, listening for SMTP on port 25 (IPv6 and IPv4) port 587 (IPv6 and IPv4)

Where is that file that checks for services so i can change the line witch checks exim?
And is there a problem with exim? (mail send and receive work ok)
System is freebsd 6.2

Thanks in advance,
zam

You probably need to have the same startup scripts created by DirectAdmin, and those scripts probably need to point to the exim you've set up. You're getting those messages every minute because DA thinks exim is down, because it can't find the links it needs.

If you don't need DirectAdmin to check exim you can just change this file:

/usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/services.status

and change this line:
Code:
exim=ON
to this:
Code:
exim=OFF
Jeff

As i mention in a recently written post it is possible to make DA to work with a *nix system default services (or services compliled from source).
In my system i compiled everthing from source, including ftp,mysql, apache, php, exim etc and the system works fine. Even with os specific (and not DA's) startup scripts the system works ok. And i cannot find a reason not to work as startup scripts only refer to where the service binary and conf are located and some extra flags. If someone can found the above info he can use another startup script than DA's.
All of the other services are monitored ok by DA except exim.
I guess that DA sees if a service is stopped by executing a ps auxw or similar..
If you can explain to me how DA checks whether a service is up i could figure out something to make exim check work..

Thanks in advance.

Back