Blank page / PHP Fatal error after using custombuild

eoheod

Verified User
Hello!

Here's what's happening:

I used the new custombuild script to update bascially everything that it could- from Apache 2.0.54 to 2.2.4, php 4.4.7 to 5.2.3, etc.

Ever since this completed with no apparent errors, my users will frequently get totally blank pages when trying to load php pages.

Here's a sample error from their domain error logs:

Code:
[Tue Jul 24 10:55:30 2007] [error] [client x.x.x.x] PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 262144 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 5 bytes) in /home/user/domains/domain.com/public_html/gallery/languages/english.php on line 774, referer: http://www.domain.com/gallery/

I've looked this error up, and the consensus seems to be that the php memory_limit is too low.

Now, here's what I really don't understand- here's the directive directly from the active php.ini:

Code:
memory_limit = 16M

And just to verify, here's the output from phpinfo();

Code:
memory_limit 16M 16M

So, I have absolutely NO idea why it seems apache/php are only allocating 262144 bytes (256kbytes) to php scripts!!

Any ideas would be extremely appreciated!!

Jason

Last edited:
just increase the memory allocation to 32M, sometimes php used memory for script internally and only left certain amount for you, in your case only 256KB left.

Jason, have you solve the memory limit issue? I'm also having the exact same error message on php 5.2.3. In php.ini I set it to 128M.

PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 262144 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 16 bytes) in

sampride, you need to edit /usr/local/etc/php5/cgi/php.ini or /usr/local/etc/php4/cgi/php.ini too.

Back