Datacenter changing my IP addresses

hugheser

<I'll try it again>

Hello. I've done some searching but haven't found exactly what it is I'm looking for. I've been at this datacenter for about a month and just finished transferring accounts from my server at the old datacenter to the new server. Unfortunately I was just told that I need to change IPs on my new server.

My setup: Server1 is the old server. It currently holds the DNS info for all of my domains. During the transfer, I simply updated the zone file and pointed everything to the new server with a short TTL. I haven't changed anything at the registrar yet. The registrar still points everything towards NS1/NS2.server1.com

Server2 is the new server. It has a primary shared IP that is also the main server IP. It also has ns1.server2.com and ns2.server2.com as two other IPs. These are all based on the old IPs. I have the new IPs available but they are not in Directadmin yet.

What I need to know is what is the best way to change IPs with minimal downtime? I thought about using ipswap and following the instructions here: http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17802 My concern with this is ns1/ns2.server2.com is registered to the old IPs as a domain host at my registrar (godaddy). I could change it's IPs but then I have to wait for propagation which depending on timing could cause a lot of downtime. I want to change my primary NS domain anyway at some point so I went ahead and registered the domain hosts ns1/ns2.server2domain2.com and pointed it towards two of the new IPs.

Now knowing what I've done so far, will it work if I run the change IP script after I updated the network scripts and resolve.conf? Then immediately change the IPs in the zone records on server1 to point to the new IP? I think it will but since the IPs at the registrar for ns1/ns2.server2.com and ns1/ns2.server2domain2.com are different, I'm somewhat concerned.

Sorry for the long rambling, and probably incoherent post. I just converted to Directadmin from cPanel so things are a little fuzzy for me still. Plus my primary job is all Windows Server so I'm still learning Linux.

Thanks!

---
Brian

the best way of swapping IP's is to have both IP's active on the server at the same time. 99% of operating systems will allow you to put >1 IP on the network card. If your datacenter want to assign you new IP blocks, it's worth asking them if you can run them simultaneously for a week or two, which will make things as smooth as possible for you, from an admin point of view, and be of probably 0 down time to your customers.
This method will also give you the time you need to read up on the commands and things that you need to do to swap everything over, without having to rush it. Rush jobs don't often go well, and something often either goes wrong, or screws up at some point down the line, and you end up making a right mess of it.
A datacenter I have a server in did that a while ago to me (>12 months now), and they let me have both sets of IP's on the server to swap everything over, get nameservers resolving to the new block, etc..then let me delete the IP's from the server 1 by 1 as I was done with them, and let them know when I'd finished with them all. Then they'd delete them from the router and everything was good.!

Brian, sometimes our moderation thinks you're spamming when you're not. In that case someone will eventually see the problem and approve the post.

I put your link back into your post; I think it's helpful to show it in context.

Jeff

I want to change my primary NS domain anyway at some point so I went ahead and registered the domain hosts ns1/ns2.server2domain2.com and pointed it towards two of the new IPs.

Now knowing what I've done so far, will it work if I run the change IP script after I updated the network scripts and resolve.conf? Then immediately change the IPs in the zone records on server1 to point to the new IP? I think it will but since the IPs at the registrar for ns1/ns2.server2.com and ns1/ns2.server2domain2.com are different, I'm somewhat concerned.
If I understand you, then you need to go to the registrar of each domain pointing to your old nameservers and change them to point to your new nameservers.

Frankly I wouldn't do it that way.

I'd continue (forever probably) to use the old nameserver names (especially if I have clients for whom I don't control domain registration), so they won't have any problems.

I'd change the IP#s at the domain where your original nameserver is located, to point to the new server. And I'd make sure that both old and new servers have DNS zones for all the domains on the new server.

Then eventually (give it up to 72 hours) all the domains will be pointing to the nameservers at the new machine, and you can turn off the old one.

Or have I missed something?

Jeff

Back