How to Login into webmail without @domain.com

Samplex

Verified User
How can i login into Webmail without putting in the [email protected].

I can only login to webmail without the domain name with the user account of direct admin. If i add a new user for email then this user must put in the xxx@domain name as login name.

I don't think you can. If you could, how would you specify the domain?

lets say the user had 2 domains... www.domain1.com and www.domain2.com. Lets say tony was given an email for domain1, and another tony was given an email on domain2. How could you specify which tony you meant without specifying a domain (assuming shared ip's)?

What if you had several users sharing ip's. Then each user could assign emails to names not issued by other users.

You'd have the same problem even with separate IP#s; all the IP# does is resolve to the box; it's not parsed to see who it belongs to.

For webmail you could rewrite the webmail program to read the domain name sent by the browser; that's doable.

And I suppose you could rewrite exim.conf to find the incoming domain and use it to find the local mailbox.

This would create other issues.

And except for Plesk (which actually hashes the username and password, so you can't have two users of the same name with the same password [which actually comes up quite often]), and control panels that use real usernames instead of virtual usernames for all email addresses (so you can't have the same username on more than one domain), the way DirectAdmin does it is the way everyone does it.

Jeff

I am personally using HastyMail as the default webmail for my domains and it was relatively easy to re-write a bit of the code so that when people access their webmail via:

http://www.theirdomain.com/webmail

All they have to do is enter user / password and HastyMail automatically uses [email protected] / password.

I can dig out the code changes I had to make if you fancy using HastyMail?

Back