cPanel-to-DirectAdmin conversion tool

There are a few issues with this tool. I need a cP server and finish it off and fix any issues. I won't have any free time until after May 5th though.

I just tried using it now, and it seems its *gasp* broken? I understand the mysql stuff, but as far as email accounts, it doesnt import any of those, it also doesnt import the public_html at all.

I just read your post l0rdphi, I'll move them over manually, at least your script packages everything up correctly (except mysql) so it will be a little less painless. ;)

Thanks a bunch! :)

Not even HTML files? That's certainly odd. Are you sure it used backups from where it asked?

Yep, it didnt move over the html files at all. I extracted the tar file and they were in fact in there too. And yea it used the correct tar file because I had it upload it right after the script finished.

Since it definitely did work for me and others in the past, my guess is either (a), cP changed something to their backup format, or (b), there is some kind of end-user error going on here. I'd be inclined to the latter, since cP does have two backup formats I know of, and this script only supports the one right now. (which is the backups from /backup/cpbackup/daily, /backup/cpbackup/weekly, or similar directory.)

Oh well. If anyone wants to dig in and try to fix this, go right ahead.

*edit*
THIS NO LONGER HAS TO BE DONE

Last edited:
Heya,

Any update on this script for the mysql part?

Also, it leaves out the crontab... ;)

Thanks!

Any idea why mailboxes don't convert? The usernames show up, but the actual mail spool for each user isn't there. This is a pain to move manually.

Also, account passwords don't work; we've been manually resetting them.

Thanks for the tool, though. It has saved us some work in coverting nearly 50 domains off of a cPanel server. ;)

FeBox and I finally debugged mysql databases, so they now should work.. yay!

As for mailbox data, I never got around to implementing that. And passwords I could look into sometime, but I'm not sure they will ever work

Have fun all.

SlashChick, I found a fix for the password problem.

The /home/USERNAME/.shadow file doesnt match the line in the /etc/shadow file. The password in the /home/USERNAME/.shadow file is CORRECT; its the line in the /etc/shadow file that is incorrect. Just copy the password line from the /home/USERNAME/.shadow file to the /etc/shadow file.

The script for some reason deletes the first maybe 5 or 10 characters. I haven't been able to figure out what character is making it do that because the characters are different each time. I looked at the code, and since I'm clueless in Perl, I wasn't able to figure it out.

Last edited:
Let's say I only have a reseller account on a CPanel server, is it possible to use this tool to convert accounts under mine to a DA server?

Assume that I have root on the DA server, and only reseller account on a Cpanel with SSH.

I think possibly DirectAdmin should pay L0rdPhi1 to finish the script properly, and they could provide in on the DA site.

It'd really increase sales of DA IMHO.

Matt :)

Jing said:
Let's say I only have a reseller account on a CPanel server, is it possible to use this tool to convert accounts under mine to a DA server?

Assume that I have root on the DA server, and only reseller account on a Cpanel with SSH.
Hello,

Do you have SSH access? Can you use /scripts/pkgacct? If either is no, can you export (i.e., download, or copy to a remote server) cPanel backups for your cPanel users?

This tool can be run on the DA server now, so you could simply copy the backup tarballs over to your DirectAdmin server and run this tool there (however this method is untested).

Also, mail box data now converts.. that's something else I added back a week or so.

Phi1.

thoroughfare said:
I think possibly DirectAdmin should pay L0rdPhi1 to finish the script properly, and they could provide in on the DA site.

It'd really increase sales of DA IMHO.

Matt :)
Allotted time and a server for testing, I can perfect this tool. However, pretty much everything possible is already being converted. Account passwords are a deal I haven't looked at real closely, but they're the only big thing I see yet to be attended.

I would also like to get this working 100% for reseller users. If what I posted above does not work, I will need a cP reseller account to implement a workaround.

Phi1.

I would also like to get this working 100% for reseller users. If what I posted above does not work, I will need a cP reseller account to implement a workaround.

does your software work for resellers at this moment? i'm in need to transfer some of my sites to DirectAdmin.

if you need my reseller account to test, let me know. :D

I know of no tests on cPanel reseller accounts. You're free to give it a shot though :D

Phi1.

Back