cPanel-to-DirectAdmin conversion tool

Actually, what are we try to do here? :)

1/ Are we backing up a WHM "reseller" account?

2/ Are we -as a reseller- trying to backup a normal user?

Phi1.

since we have no root access, i suppose it's option 2?

thoroughfare, you've tried b4? i'm going to give it a try as well!

edit:

okay, i can't modify the file defaults.conf due to permission limit. looks like i've to move the websites 1 by 1.

btw, is the contend in defaults.conf referring cpanel or DA server?

PHP:
ip=000.000.000.000
ns1=ns1.yourhost.com
ns2=ns2.yourhost.com
creator=admin
docsroot=./data/skins/default
account=ON
aftp=OFF
cgi=ON
dnscontrol=OFF
nemailr=unlimited
nemails=unlimited
package=custom
php=ON
skin=default
ssh=OFF
ssl=ON
suspend_at_limit=ON
suspended=no
zoom=100

there are a few options i don't understand:

1. docsroot=./data/skins/default
is this default skin setting? or this is the skin called "default"?

2. aftp=OFF
is this ftp? shouldn't i set it to on?

3. package=custom
different user use different packages, what is this "custom" package referring?

4. zoom=100
what is this option for?

thanks.

Last edited:
Hello,
neorder said:
okay, i can't modify the file defaults.conf due to permission limit. looks like i've to move the websites 1 by 1.
This tool should run on the DirectAdmin server now. So just transfer the tarballs over and you should be okay.

neorder said:
btw, is the contend in defaults.conf referring cpanel or DA server?
For DA.

neorder said:
there are a few options i don't understand:

1. docsroot=./data/skins/default
is this default skin setting? or this is the skin called "default"?
That's the skin root. For instance, ./data/skins/default will give incoming users the default skin. ./data/skins/enhanced is the new DA skin.

neorder said:
2. aftp=OFF
is this ftp? shouldn't i set it to on?
That's anonymous FTP.

neorder said:
3. package=custom
different user use different packages, what is this "custom" package referring?
Any user that has a custom bandwidth or storage configuration gets his or her package set to custom.

neorder said:
4. zoom=100
what is this option for?
Nothing. You probably no longer need it :)

Phi1.

Hi,
I have installed everything.
but some how it did not convert .

any one can help

i have copy pkgacct into import folder

but when i try to perl.
it does not work

Is there a way of offering a single customer who currently runs on cpanel to give us their backup file, which we can then convert/import on our DA server using the script you have written.

We were thinking that we could start attracting customers away from hosting companies running cpanel by offering a simple a swift conversion from there cpanel backup file.

It seems that at present this discussion has been about conversion of mulitple accounts from cpanel to DA rather about what I would like above.

Neil :D

That all depends on the structure of the cPanel user-level backup tarball. If anyone has one handy, I will be happy to look at it :)

Phi1.

Hi all,

does this tool already works with reseller backup tar files?

in other words: can it be run on the DA server with root access and backup-17112003_username.tar.gz backup files?

Kinds regards,
Marcel

l0rdphi1 said:
That all depends on the structure of the cPanel user-level backup tarball. If anyone has one handy, I will be happy to look at it :)

Phi1.

The only thing that differs is the directory name and the file name.
Simple way to use would be to untar the archive rename the root directory name to <username> and tar it back again.

Worked for me..

greggcz said:
The only thing that differs is the directory name and the file name.
Simple way to use would be to untar the archive rename the root directory name to <username> and tar it back again.

Worked for me..
Well, that answers that then :D

I'll still need one to modify this script though (for testing).

Phi1.

1024solutions said:
Hi all,

does this tool already works with reseller backup tar files?

in other words: can it be run on the DA server with root access and backup-17112003_username.tar.gz backup files?

Kinds regards,
Marcel
This tool works with tarballs created by cPanel's /scripts/pkgacct. Beyond that, it's murky water.

Phi1.

l0rdphi1 said:
This tool works with tarballs created by cPanel's /scripts/pkgacct. Beyond that, it's murky water.

Phi1.

The answer is indeed extracting the backup tar, renaming the root dir to the username and tarring it back again.

Only thing, i get the error on mysql, trying to restore databases as root@localhost without a password.

l0rdphi1 said:

Phi1.

You could probably add a simple check to accept the directory and filename in the syntax of <username>-<date>(.tar.gz)

Your conversion tool rocks, I would like to thankyou for taking the time to help us all out in this matter, its very decent of you.

P.S. Any new version above .7 on the horizon ? Need to convert some domains off an old reseller account.

Cheers

Hello,
xcensus said:
P.S. Any new version above .7 on the horizon ? Need to convert some domains off an old reseller account.
Reseller account? Do you mean a WHM account?

I plan to add <username>-<date>(.tar.gz) support really soon, I just need an extra hour or two to actually do it :)

Thanks, Phil.

Hi,

From the clients backups that they create with cpanel, like you said it has backup-domainname.com-date.tar.gz etc, but I also noticed that mysql databases are not included in these backups as they have to be downloaded seperate, am I right ?

Cheers

xcensus,

That may be true. No one has passed me a backup to play with yet :D

Phi1.

Thanks for writing this man. I was able to use this to transfer most things from ~40 some cpanle clients over to DA.

Does DA not backup a user's home directory contents. A lot of people put downloads or config files in there so it is not in their web root. I had to manually transfer a lot of files over. Not complaining, but noticed in the DA backup files, it doesn't look like DA copies files from the home directory.

I'd like a simple utility to convert CPanel backups to DirectAdmin ones. Does this need to be done on the server?

intelliot said:
I'd like a simple utility to convert CPanel backups to DirectAdmin ones. Does this need to be done on the server?

No, you can this tool on DirectAdmin server now, it doesn't have to be done on cpanel.

Back