[exim] how can i block sender:<> mails

greenm

Verified User
hiya,

Does someone know how i can block emails that are send without
sender?

In my mailqueue i see alot of mails with sender: "<>"

Also i'm wondering howlong mails are kept if they are frozen?
And why my queue is filling up all the time...?

Emails with <> sender are required to be accepted by RFC. Perhaps they shouldn't be, but they are.

Why? Because that's how mailer daemons report undeliverable email.

I'm not sure how long mail is kept frozen (it's frozen rather than removed so you can look at it if you want to) but I'm sure it's configurable somewhere.

Google :) .

Jeff

what is normal for the queue, the list in my queue is now 8 pages.
and 4 days ago i cleaned it.

is this normal and if its not, what can i do to fix it?

Instead of pages, how about a count of actual emails:
Code:
exim -bpc
Normal? That depends on how busy your server is, and why there are so many emails in your queue.

If you've got exiqgrep installed you can delete all frozen messages:
Code:
exiqgrep -z -i | xargs exim -Mrm
(it may take a while) and then try the count again.

If you don't have exiqgrep installed you can get it here. It's a perl script; to make sure it downloads in all environments instead of executes, we've renamed it to exiqgrep.txt. After you download it rename it to exiqgrep and move it to /usr/sbin, and you can run it from anywhere.

If you don't mind, let us know your results, both before and after you remove the frozen messages.

Jeff

exim -bpc : 375

after exiqgrep -z -i | xargs exim -Mrm: 273

so i think the frozen messages are not the biggest issue

375 messages are absolutely NOT a lot. We had over 4,000 messages on the server I checked, before I removed the frozen ones. Afterwards we had about 700. 700 to 1000 unfrozen messages is quite normal for us.

Jeff

ok tnx for your reply i will watch the queue over time and report my count

the exiqgrep script tell about that you can remove messages by address and it will wrap it with "<>" so how do i remove the messages with only: "<>"

I don't know; I've never tried to remove messages from Mailer Daemon with exiqgrep. You might try using Mailer Daemon and see if they're found. If you leave off the last | character, and all characters after it, you'll get a list of the emails it's going to remove.

Jeff

Back