FreeBSD 64 bit support needed!

Got it! There is no way he will be happy with other than 64 bit.

32-bit doesn't even see 4gb. It's about 3.2 actually. I had the chance to get 8gb setup for only $10 more per month but since DA didn't support 64-bit BSD I saw no reason. It's not like I even feel comfortable that within a year they will do this. Feels more like we are 2+ years away from full support.

FYI, the 64-bit 7.1 system is running. I've got an early version of the binaries, but still working on the installer. Having issues with creating the mysql distribution set with mysql 5.1 (it's adding mysql subdirs in everything, ./lib/mysql, ./bin/mysql, etc).. but may just go with 5.0 if I can't figure it out.

John

FYI, the 64-bit 7.1 system is running. I've got an early version of the binaries, but still working on the installer. Having issues with creating the mysql distribution set with mysql 5.1 (it's adding mysql subdirs in everything, ./lib/mysql, ./bin/mysql, etc).. but may just go with 5.0 if I can't figure it out.
John

Any combination between scripted and manual that you could come up with would be huge. Things are getting disparate. I received a letter from our dedicated hosting vendor yesterday that they will be moving us from SAVVIS to Databank and on to a new server. We have a new server at SoftLayer. It's the perfect environment to test in because you can return to the a clean install in a few seconds if you want to start over.

Processor Name Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5450 @ 3.00GHz (3004.48-MHz K8-class CPU)
Total Memory 4083.29 MB
Free Memory 28174.4 MB

funny isn't it?

Total Memory 4083.29 MB
Free Memory 28174.4 MB
funny isn't it?

Yes, you haven't been able to buy a 32 bit home computer at BestBuy for 6 months. The 2008 R2 and Windows 7 don't even have 32 bit versions available. I'll just be glad when we can harness the power of today's common hardware with FreeBSD and DirectAdmin. They announced work on it in September, but I'm sure if it were a piece of cake, they would have something to try by now at least.

Lol you buy computers at Best Buy....FAIL!

NOT! One would have to be dumber than a sack of hammers to buy one there. I generally buy Dell. When I was CTO I ended up buying mostly Dell. (550+ of them.) I used to have my own recipe because I couldn't get what I needed. However, when Dell put in the same quality components, was the only brand that didn't have any network requester or printing issues, they stood behind them with next day service, and cost $200 less than I would have in parts, I basically said COOL!

For the Web my favorites are SuperMicro, Dell, and HP. SuperMicro's have built in KVM/IPMI, Dell PERCs have proven to be the fastest disk controllers in the DC, and HP is good too. All three use LSI Logic based controllers although there are a few from Adaptec that perform too. Dell and HP have had the plugin modules for ESXi boot for a long time, and SuperMicro is just adding them. IBM stuff is well built but it never seems to be a fit, and like the old Compaqs, they are a bit of an odd duck when you need parts.

I have zero brand loyalty. The only reason I buy and sell so many Dells is because they gave the most bang for the buck all around, and you can buy it exactly as you want on line. The other two and IBM you cannot effectively do that. They come in packages like car models.

Total Memory 4083.29 MB
Free Memory 28174.4 MB

funny isn't it?

LOL.. total ram is 4gig yet you have 28gig free. Yeah right whatever.

cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep -i memory | sort -u

LOL.. total ram is 4gig yet you have 28gig free. Yeah right whatever.

cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep -i memory | sort -u

it's ok it's 32 gigs server
avail memory = 33297825792 (31755 MB)
usable memory = 34346414080 (32755 MB)

os is 64 bits

You snake! You came to torment us. I'm making some progress with FreeBSD with a combination of DA scripts and ports. We'll see how it goes. I'm looking at 2008 Server as well. The only thing in the way on that thing IIS 7's lame mod_rewrite, even using 3rd party products. You can't make money if you cannot be found and mod_rewite helps huge with that.

Last edited:
da installed almost flawlessly on fbsd 7.1 64-bit... my installation instructions are in another topic. just don't forget the lib32 and compat6x

da installed almost flawlessly on fbsd 7.1 64-bit... my installation instructions are in another topic. just don't forget the lib32 and compat6x

I'm over here hacking my brains out and NOW you pipe up! :) You didn't even post the thread!

So far I'm making pretty good progress.

da installed almost flawlessly

What's with the almost? Do tell to redeem yourself. :)

just don't forget the lib32 and compat6x

I have all services running and responding from the CP. I don't have these installed yet. I would need compat6x if I run Zend. What will probably need lib32 for if I run something like Urchin. Is there anything essential I need them for?

Thanks!

Back