AwStats Added

I agree in which the graphs have not improved too much and personally I prefer AWStats, the only thing that bothers me is that it charge so much the server when run.

Hello,

That's likely the main reason we haven't implemented it yet. If there was a static version that could be computed via cron, like for webalizer, then I would be more willing. Dynamic scripts that have to be setup and process the data for each display are less appealing to me (from a setup and usage standpoint). DA aslo uses some of the webalizer stats to show the bandwidth usage for subdomains.

If there is a a daily command for awstats that will generate the html as for webalizer that I'm not seeing, let me know.

Running a command nightly isn't difficult. Setting up an entire new script enviroment is, (if it needs an modules, multiplied by however many OS's we support, etc)

John

I am no awstats expert but from what I have seen in the way hsphere implements it awstats only runs once a day to calculate totals.

I do want awstats but I do not want it to calculate totals each time the page is refreshed. I seem to remember seeing that as an option the one time I looked at installing it. You could have it run at each update or not.

Leave webalizer there for your underlying needs but give us the option to enable it in the plan or something. I really only want them running one stats program.

DirectAdmin Support, is it possible that AWstats will be added to DirectAdmin this year?

DirectAdmin Support said:
if there is a a daily command for awstats that will generate the html as for webalizer that I'm not seeing, let me know.

Hi,

Have a look at the /tools/awstats_buildstaticpages.pl script... I run this, nightly;
Code:
/usr/local/awstats/tools/awstats_buildstaticpages.pl
 -update -config=empire -dir=/home/empire/public_html/stats/

For I've work with AWStats for quite a while now I'm pretty sure it could take care of all configurations (not only one, from the -config flag).

I've been looking into getting this into DA for a while now but my two concerns are;

- don't ask me why, but I was under the impression DA was using Webalizer for some aspect of its daily processes...???!
- Awstats can easily have one config per domain... and to implement it properly into DA you would require to keep that functionality.

Originally posted by redesb
the only thing that bothers me is that it charge so much the server when run.

What kind of logs are you precessing? I crunge between 100 and 450MB Log files within 20 seconds on a shared PIII/256MB....! if your taling about browsing the processed stats, you're quite right (my monthly stats files (.txt) are close to 18MB), it can be slow-ish so just use the above technique...!

@DA: I've been working quite a bit with AWStats... I'm not linux expert... but I still know what I do. If you need assistance, I'll be more than happy to help out getting this up and running properly - at last!

Cheers,

Seb.

Uninstall 3rd party plug-in, and do:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts
./awstats.sh

No it won't. P.S. DA is using static pages instead of dynamic (used by 3rd party plugins).

How do we force AWStats to run immediately to generate statistics for today?

Code:
service directadmin restart
echo 'action=tally&value=all' >> /usr/local/directadmin/data/task.queue
/usr/local/directadmin/dataskq d

Good luck! :)

How does Awstats installed via DirectAdmin differ from the Awstats in the third party module?

Will awstats still be available at domain.com/awstats and being able to be password protected?

1. It's more secure.
2. It runs together with tally process.
3. You have static pages instead of dynamic.

You can set-up /stats to go to AWstats in DA interface. And of course you can password protect it too.

Isn't the third party plugin with the tally as well?

Regarding password protecting, will the alias be the same?

Also, what would be the best way to un-install the thirdparty module, in your opinion?

chriswd, thank you for these words :)

Henrik, no, you must run this command for the 3rd party plugins:
Code:
/usr/local/directadmin/plugins/awstats/hooks/cgi-bin/awstats_updateall.pl now -awstatsprog=/usr/local/directadmin/plugins/awstats/hooks/cgi-bin/awstats.pl
And only then tally. You can set up any alias (redirect) (in /etc/httpd/conf/extra/httpd-alias.conf) you want, by default /stats is used for it (but you can change that too, just write /awstats in "Set selected domains to be publicly viewable from" field (in "Site Summary / Statistics / Logs")), and you can redirect e.g. /awstats to /stats if you want :) Good luck!

Last edited:
Back