DA use on FreeBSD 7.0

it's my day to day job and home experience that one can safely upgrade everything, especially if you keep COMPAT_FREEBSD6 in your kernel (library compatibility mode). I did that all the way from 4.9 or something to 7.0-STABLE today..

better off

Yeh it's possible, however if you're doing it on a system with hundreds of sites, there is no easy role back :) Be safer to purhcase another dedicated server, install fbsd 7 and DA, then migrate sites using backup/restore, then cancel the primary dedicated server.

Yes it'll cost you a little more to do, but if your system goes down and it takes hrs or close to a day to restore (that is considering you have remote backups) you'll loose more in customers.

Barry

6.2/6.3 to 7.0 should work but make sure you install compat6x port. There is a risk obviously but the risk should be small providing you follow proper upgrade guidelines. compat6x port will allow 6.x binaries to work on 7.0.

FreeBSD

I`m used FreeBSD 7.0 about 1/m no problem all working perffect

doing a new server so which freebsd version is really recommended by directadmin as a stable and support freebsd version if i want a stable and reliable server?

So I have the amd64 FreeBSD 7.0 installed and I am going to migrate my old server running 6.3. Does DA work or not for the 64-bit?

The question has been asked and answered many times on these forums. DirectAdmin only works on 64-bit CentOS and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

For more informatoin, look here.

Jeff

Any Update...

Any news from DA on when FBSD7 will be taken off the "(beta/unstable/not recommended)" list? Are their any outstanding issues?

Any news from DA on when FBSD7 will be taken off the "(beta/unstable/not recommended)" list? Are their any outstanding issues?
Here is a message about running DA on FreeBSD 7.0 64-bit.
But it in russian.
I'll try to translate it...
Example of working server: http://91.197.162.132/info.php
Config is running on several servers with hosting sutes about 3 monthes.

The main condition is FreeBSD 7.0 64bit must be compilied with lib32 support.
Then, from ports installing: libtool15, autoconf262, automake110.
Then, installing all ports that dont need to be configured: gmake, freetype, freetype2, ImageMagick, gd, libxslt, curl.
Then you should install DA as usually in 2nd variant.
Then you should install MySQL5.0 from ports.
Then through "build" install in order: suPHP, php5-cgi, dovecot.
And then from ports install Exim.

That's all ;)

That information seems enough for sysadmins.

Advantages:
1. Last versions of all SW.
2. Support more then 3Gb RAM and more then 4 CPU.
3. Increased operation speed. Usage of all power CPU 64bit (such as Intel, AMD), support SW developed especially for 64bit.

Yeah even a beta would be nice...something. The 64-bit world is quickly taking hold and not everyone wants to run cent-os.

John already said its not gonna happen so get over it.

I don't believe that was said. What has been said is that current version isn't supported. That doesn't mean if enough people ask that they might consider adding it to supported list.

"At this time,"

Ugh...that's not "its not gonna happen" as you state.

What's your problem with people voicing a desire for support?

He said it a month and three days ago. I suppose that's a long time in the Internet world.

What if John only has a certain amount of machines available for building? What if for each new version he added he had to delete one?

What if in order to support FreeBSD 7 64-bit he had to delete CentOS 64-bit?

Okay with you?

So what if to support the next version of CentOS he had to delete all support for FreeBSD?

;)

I know you won't want to see my point, but the fact is that there are a lot of tradeoffs in supporting multiple operating systems; time, investment in servers (64-bit systems are generally more expensive to buy, and you may need to have one for each system you support), and even expertise.

My suggestion is that if you want to see support you might want to send an email to their sales department (here) and let them know exactly how many you want to buy :).

Jeff

Back