Domain of sender address [email protected] does not exist

Shark

Verified User
Hi all,

We had a server with a hosname 'domain.com'. Then found out the proper way is something like 'server.domain.com'. Fine, I get it. So we had our upstream add the proper records (including reverse) and all is fine.

Except now our FormMail v2.22 is having issues because the form contents are being sent as [email protected] (new hostname) and some are being rejected as

"Domain of sender address [email protected] does not exist"

Added A record for server.domain.com. Tried serveralias, looked through and made changes to FormMail for $postmaster, setup and changed mail aliases for admin, changed httpd.conf for serveradmin and a bunch of other things.

#1) If there is an proper A record, how can the domain not exist?
#2) Is there a way the change the mail to send as:
[email protected] again without changing the hostname?

Thanks, still digging in these forums and google,

Dave~

Just adding a possible solution for the archives.

Edit exim.conf file using your domain:

# Specify the domain you want to be added to all unqualified addresses
# here. An unqualified address is one that does not contain an "@" character
# followed by a domain. For example, "[email protected]" is a fully qualified
# address, but the string "caesar" (i.e. just a login name) is an unqualified
# email address. Unqualified addresses are accepted only from local callers by
# default. See the receiver_unqualified_{hosts,nets} options if you want
# to permit unqualified addresses from remote sources. If this option is
# not set, the primary_hostname value is used for qualification.

qualify_domain = domain.com

Since admin is an unqualified address it now gets delivered as admin@[COLOR="red"]domain[/COLOR].com instead of admin@[COLOR="red"]server.domain[/COLOR].com

All is well...

I have the same problem. After set the qualify_domain for serverdomain.com all works ok but email redirects stop work's.

For example.

User have mail [email protected] and redirect from [email protected] to [email protected]
When i send email to [email protected] i have mail delivery failed:

Code:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
    (ultimately generated from [email protected])

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Sorry for my english.

Regards

Last edited:
Check your logs to see why the email delivery is failing. Specifically /var/log/exim/mainlog.

Jeff

Problem exist only if qualify_domain is set in exim.conf

Code:
2014-01-30 07:45:58 1W8lNt-000GXD-QK <= [email protected] H=host178.router14.tygrys.net ([127.0.0.1]) [176.123.60.178] P=esmtpa A=plain:[email protected] S=11734 [email protected] T="Test" from <[email protected]> for [email protected]
2014-01-30 07:45:58 cwd=/var/spool/exim 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1W8lNt-000GXD-QK
2014-01-30 07:45:58 cwd=/tmp 4 args: /usr/sbin/exim -oMr spam-scanned -bS
2014-01-30 07:46:03 1W8lNu-000GXK-1y <= [email protected] U=mail P=spam-scanned S=12137 [email protected] T="Test" from <[email protected]> for [email protected]
2014-01-30 07:46:03 cwd=/var/spool/exim 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1W8lNu-000GXK-1y
2014-01-30 07:46:03 1W8lNu-000GXK-1y ** username@qualifydomain_from_exim_conf <[email protected]> F=<[email protected]> R=virtual_aliases:
2014-01-30 07:46:03 1W8lNu-000GXK-1y ** username@qualifydomain_from_exim_conf <[email protected]> F=<[email protected]> R=virtual_aliases:
2014-01-30 07:46:03 cwd=/var/spool/exim 7 args: /usr/sbin/exim -t -oem -oi -f <> -E1W8lNu-000GXK-1y
2014-01-30 07:46:03 1W8lNz-000GXh-Rb <= <> R=1W8lNu-000GXK-1y U=mail P=local S=13214 T="Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" from <> for [email protected]
2014-01-30 07:46:03 cwd=/var/spool/exim 3 args: /usr/sbin/exim -Mc 1W8lNz-000GXh-Rb
2014-01-30 07:46:04 1W8lNu-000GXK-1y Completed
2014-01-30 07:46:04 1W8lNz-000GXh-Rb => lukasz <[email protected]> F=<> R=virtual_user T=virtual_localdelivery S=13307
2014-01-30 07:46:04 1W8lNt-000GXD-QK => info <[email protected]> F=<[email protected]> R=spamcheck_director T=spamcheck S=12016
2014-01-30 07:46:04 1W8lNz-000GXh-Rb Completed
2014-01-30 07:46:04 1W8lNt-000GXD-QK Completed

When qualify_domain i set exim try to delivery message to username@qualifydomain_from_exim_conf.com but not for [email protected].

Any idea how to solve this problem?

Regards

[email protected] (alias - email redirect set in DA Panel)
[email protected] (real email it's target from [email protected])

When qualify domain is set exim try delivery mail to [email protected]

mail2 it's system username
qulaifydomain.com = qualify_domain form exim.conf

Maybe ist's exim bug but why concerns only aliases (existing mail accounts work's fine).
It turns out that you can not solve the problem and have a working redirects :(

Maybe this problem exist only with my configuration. It's simple to reproduce, maybe someone can check with own?

Sorry for my english :]

Regards

Last edited:
Then found out the proper way is something like 'server.domain.com'.
That is indeed a proper hostname.

I had a kindlike similar problem. Check in /etc/virtual if it contains a directory like this (I follow your example of server.domain.com):
Code:
drwx--x--x. 2 mail      mail   4.0K May 27  2013 server.domain.com
if not, just create it, restart Exim and try again. Ofcourse replace server.domain.com with the real hostname you are using.

I have directory named as hostname but problem exist. I do not know if this is ok but directory is empty.

Regards

Last edited:
I've got the same problem. If you try send an e-mail to a local user, which is the username of the hosting account, so you type it like [email protected] but it actually has to be sent to local user's mailbox, I think that's why it shows username@fullyqualifiedofficalnameofthehost in the error but I can't figure out why it's failing.

I've recently switched to Centos 6.5 and this started to happen.

Edit: Setting "qualify_domain = localhost" doesn't change anything, only the error message changed to username@localhost.

Last edited:
It's oke that the directory is empty, it just needs to be there.
Unfortunately I have no clue why the error is happening.

I've asked the datacenter to change the ptr record and my hostname from a domain that they've created to one which's hosted by the server's dns and it all works fine now.

Back