How to configure DNS so email isn't marked as spam?

krissauquillo

Verified User
I heard from somewhere that if your DNS is not configured correctly, then most email providers will simply mark your mail as spam. This is troublesome because 50% the users that try to register on my site do not get the emails to active their accounts. Here is what my DNS settings look like now:

1-dns.gif

What do I need to change?

There's nothing wrong with your DNS zone file, and your DNS report looks good, too: http://www.intodns.com/vilegaming.com

Chances are it is @hotmail.com and perhaps AOL users with the problems. Ask them to whitelist your email address and you should be fine.

There's nothing wrong with your DNS zone file, and your DNS report looks good, too: http://www.intodns.com/vilegaming.com

Chances are it is @hotmail.com and perhaps AOL users with the problems. Ask them to whitelist your email address and you should be fine.
I don't think it is specific to an email provider blocking my domain. I am using Gmail for my SMTP service and a few days ago it was sending out emails fine, then out of nowhere it stopped sending emails and getting errors saying it was not sent by Gmail's SMTP because it looks like spam?

As rtaylor points out, your DNS appears fine. Your reverse DNS appears fine.

You've confused the issue by writing that you use gmail for SMTP. If you're using Gmail for smtp, and gmail isn't sending out emails properly, that's an argument between you and gmail but you may need to change some DNS records to point to gmail serves (including yor spf record).

As far as your outgoing emails from your server (welcome messages) are concerned, what is the from address used in those messages? Is the domain in the from address hosted on your server? Does it resolve both an A record and an spf (TXT) record?

Is the username from the from address real? Does it accept email?

Jeff

Yes, but read that carefully; it will make it impossible for any users to use their ISPs mailservers, which is what we've been recommending for some time. So you must re-educate your users if they've been using their own ISP mailservers.

We recommend changing the SPF record only on an individual basis if/when your users tell you about this problem, and make sure they understand that they may have to change how they send mail.

Note also that if you make the change you'll have a lot more support issues.

Jeff

As rtaylor points out, your DNS appears fine. Your reverse DNS appears fine.

You've confused the issue by writing that you use gmail for SMTP. If you're using Gmail for smtp, and gmail isn't sending out emails properly, that's an argument between you and gmail but you may need to change some DNS records to point to gmail serves (including yor spf record).

As far as your outgoing emails from your server (welcome messages) are concerned, what is the from address used in those messages? Is the domain in the from address hosted on your server? Does it resolve both an A record and an spf (TXT) record?

Is the username from the from address real? Does it accept email?

Jeff
My website is on vilegaming.com
The from address' domain is vilegaming.com
The from address' account is noreply.
There is a noreply email account on my server with that domain, so it is real and accepts mail.

Here is the email text it sends for registration:
Hi tester321,

Thanks for registering with us at vilegaming.com. We look forward to seeing you around the site.

To complete your registration, you need to confirm that you got this email. To do so, simply click the link below:
-----------------------

http://www.vilegaming.com/users.php?m=register&a=validate&v=77da4f804974809d84f1fc8b5a327a7d

-----------------------
If clicking the link doesn't work, just copy and paste the entire address into your browser.

After donig so, you can log in with the following information:
-----------------------

Username = tester321
Password = ********

-----------------------
Welcome to the Vile Gaming community!

- The VG staff If you have any difficulties please contact the board administrator

And I tried the following also:

It's unlikely the messages are coming from gmail; it's more likely your server is sending them.

You'll need to check the /var/log/exim/mainlog file on your system to see why specific emails are not getting delivered.

Jeff

Back