VPS - IP and DNS questions

lrodriguez

I'm going to start to configurate a VPS with DirectAdmin and I have a few questions, please help me.

1- If I have a VPS and I want to have some domains there, Do I need private nameservers?
Is there any other way to go? (for example, could I use the DNS of my provider?)

2- How many IP Addresses do I need for a VPS?
I think if I have to use private nameservers I'd need two IP for them. Is it correct?

And if I want to have reverse DNS for my Host, I think I would need a IP address to be used on for that. Is it correct?

So, I would need at least 3 IP Addresses. Is it correct?

3- Is it possible to use a VPS with only two IP Address?
Many VPS providers give you only two IP Addresses. Could I use 1 IP Address for DNS and reverse DNS for my Host at the same time?
Is it not a problem with hotmail, yahoo, gmail, etc?

Thanks.

Rodriguez,

You would not need private nameservers. However, they're relatively easy to set up if you do want them. For private nameservers you would need two IP addresses. If you want your host to havt its own reverse dns record you would need another IP address.

It is possible to have a VPS with only two IP addresses. You don't really need reverse DNS records for your nameservers

1- If I have a VPS and I want to have some domains there, Do I need private nameservers?
Domains registered on the 'net generally require two nameservers be set up when the domain is registered; these need to be updated as necessary to always point to nameservers which are authoritative for the domain.
Is there any other way to go? (for example, could I use the DNS of my provider?)
If I'm understanding you properly you cannot use your ISP's nameservers to be authoritative for the domain unless you contract with them to do that for you. There are many places you can set up authoritative DNS if you don't want to have your own. Many of them are freee for between one and five domains.
2- How many IP Addresses do I need for a VPS?
A minimum of one.
I think if I have to use private nameservers I'd need two IP for them. Is it correct?
Generally yes, but that's not recommended. You should really have two different physical nameservers, not just two different IP#s.
And if I want to have reverse DNS for my Host, I think I would need a IP address to be used on for that. Is it correct?
Reverse DNS (rDNS) is generally set up by your connection provider; in your case probably your VPS provider. You generally don't do anything at all except tell them you need reverse DNS, and tell them to what you want it to resolve.

3- Is it possible to use a VPS with only two IP Address?
It's possible to use only one. If you use both addresses on your own VPS to manage domains then your DNS will be down from time to time. You should really have separate master and slave DNS on separate physical systems.
Many VPS providers give you only two IP Addresses. Could I use 1 IP Address for DNS and reverse DNS for my Host at the same time?
As I mentioned above, don't do reverse DNS yourself. Don't even attempt it, as your VPS provider most likely hasn't passed on rDNS authority to you anyway, and it just won't work. See my notes above.

Jeff

Back