Upload Guardian for cPanel and DirectAdmin now available

ramprage

Verified User
Upload Guardian (http://www.serverprogress.com/upload_guardian.php) is now available for DirectAdmin and cPanel servers! We have new leased license options for your convenience. How can you afford not to have protection on your server?

Now available for DirectAdmin servers!

What does it do?
Upload Guardian automatically performs a virus like scan on any FTP or PHP based file uploads to stop malicious file uploads such as bots, shell scripts, or other hacker like files. It will also scan all user accounts for malicious files on a schedule providing detailed logging and email reports.

Why do I need it?
Simple answer - peace of mind and extra protection.

Being a server administrator myself, I see websites and servers hacked a lot. The #1 reason they get hacked or a website gets modified? A insecure upload script or a compromised FTP account password. While Upload Guardian will not stop people from guessing your FTP password or magically fix a PHP hole, it will stop attackers from uploading shell scripts, bots and other nasties and notify the system administrator before any damage can be done!

You will also sleep better at night knowing you have automated protection plus you will have scheduled scans of ALL user files in every account knowing there isn't a shell script mixed in someones pictures or a mass mail program sitting around!

Purchase Upload Guardian (UPDATE 60% OFF SALE!!!!) This offer expires Sept. 27. Don't miss out!

New Leased Monthly License
$19.95/mo << NOW $7.98 >> per server leased license including updates and installation. For new customers only.
Use the coupon code, on the signup form: earlybird

New Leased Yearly License
$99.95/year per server leased license including updates and installation

Owned Lifetime License
$200 per server lifetime license including updates and installation

Have more than 1 server? Get bulk discounts listed on our website!

For complete details and to order go to our website:
http://www.uploadguardian.com or http://www.serverprogress.com/upload_guardian.php

Thanks for your interest, I look forward to speaking with you.

Steve Leggett
Email: sales (A)(T) serverprogress.com -replace (A)(T) with @
Web: www.serverprogress.com
Phone: 613-767-9255

Last edited:
It's a bit unclear what this program does. Does Upload Guardian actively scan files as they're being uploaded, or does it scan files after they've been uploaded? Does this slow ProFTPD down? What is the difference between this and a clamd/spamassassin/rkhunter mix?

It can do 3 things actually:

1) real-time upload scan protection, both PHP and FTP based
2) Scan all files in a user directory or any directories on the server you like with a manual scan option
3) Scheduled scans of all user accounts on the entire system

It does not slow FTP down. However PureFTPD is required as ProFTPD doesn't have any options to allow a third party application to work in-between.

Clamav is an antivirus program and will not detect shell bots, mass mail programs and other nasties like security breach scripts, php shells and more.

Spamassassin is a spam detector - it manages spam.

Rkhunter checks for rootkits that are in compiled or already installed on your server. It will not detect php shells, irc bots, mass mailing programs and other nasties. It looks for rootkits only.

Upload Guardian will find common and uncommon malicious files like C99 shell, r57shell and all the things you probably never heard of before but are the norm in hackers scripts for security breaches and easy website defacements.

Last edited:
How processor intensive is Upload Guardian? What type of server load can we expect for a few hundred accounts being scanned?

Its extremely lightweight - you will not notice a load difference in your server with it active with a few hundred accounts for real-time upload scanning.

When the full scheduled scan is active (once per evening but you can customize it)- it generates more of a medium load level because it will scan every single file in each users account as well as /tmp. The more files, the longer the scan will take to complete. The default cron is set to run very late at night for the scans to reduce affecting high load servers during peak hours.

Last edited:
the price is way too expensive. where there is avast and clamav now that is free.

$19.95/mo is very reasonable, there are bulk server discounts as well.

This is not an anti-virus program. It's a specialized, custom developed tool I have created specifically for web servers and have spent a lot of time in doing so.

I suggest you use both clamav and upload guardian, since they are completely different applications.

The cost ensures you get continued product updates, support and rulesets. Many new features are being planned for future versions.

ProFTP support is being worked on.

Last edited:
You mention that it requires PureFTP. DirectAdmin installs and works with ProFTPd. How does it work with DirectAdmin? Does it install and manage PureFTP? If so does it integrate it with DirectAdmin for adding users and setting root directories?

If not, how do you propose it be installed?

Thanks.

Jeff

jlasman, you can install pureftpd by yourself :) you can find my how-to posts on DA forums.

Jeff - no it leaves whatever FTP daemon you have installed alone.

Currently I'm working on getting ProFTPD support - it's a little more difficult than PureFTP but I should have a solution for it soon, it's at the top of my list. The full user scan, manual scan and PHP based scan are still fully functional for DA users.

I think I'm going to wait for ProFTPd support. Others' opinions may certainly vary :).

Jeff

Strange it's currently online here.

Results from AV vs Upload Guardian

- F-prot found 1 out of 5 malicious files scanned that were web shells.
- ClamScan found 2 of the 5 malicious files scanned that were web shells.
- AVG found 1 out of 5

Just so you know, I am looking at ways of intergrating ClamAV/F-prot into Upload Guardian so you can get anti-virus based scans + the web protection of UG for even greater protection.

Last edited:
It would be great, but not at the current price.
I agree. Also, your product can protect well against web shells, but those aren't the only malicious things that get uploaded and shouldn't be the main focus considering how few there are and such (thought attention to them is great). Not to mention that what's to happen when AV scanners start picking up all of them? The only unique feature your product will have is scanning as things get uploaded and not only will that not work with all software but it'll cost $100+ each year and not be able to detect as many virii as other scanners that still do the same job, but do them slower.

For the price, people are going to want a lot of bang for their buck. Having a feature or two that nobody else has is great and all, but charging out the wazoo for it just because of that isn't going to settle well with a lot of people, especially those who are actually trying to make a decent profit.

Last edited:
The ProFTPD module for Upload Guardian real-time scan support is ready. I am working to get the updater script, documentation and other details updated so this new release will be available for download. Expect this to be ready later today if not Monday.

Back