HOWTO: Setup your nameservers (Real Beginners Guide)

I've been having trouble getting my DNS setup correctly so I really appreciate my webhost sending me this "beginners" tutorial. All of my shared hosting websites were migrated to the vps. I now have Admin, Reseller, and User levels.

I have completed steps At the Registrar: and At Directadmin:

In step 2, the OP (original poster) states:

Ex.
Primary DNS Server: ns1.mydomain.net on IP address 83.45.0.1
Secondary DNS Server: ns2.mydomain.net on IP address 83.45.0.2

Step 2: Create nameservers
1. Add at least one additional IP address to your sever.
Sign into DirectAdmin as the admin user, then select IP Manager from the menu. To add an IP address, enter the IP address in the "IP" field, then click the "Add IP" button. Then, place a checkmark next to all the IP addresses and click the "Assign to [username]" button at the bottom of the screen. Your Admin username should be in the dropdown menu.

I have a vps server and I'm creating custom nameservers per this tutorial. My vps has 1 ip address but this tutorial states that I should "Add at least one additional IP address to your sever."

Right now, I'm unable to afford a second ip address for my vps. So this is what I'm doing:

At DirectAdmin:
1. Inside http://198.55.101.90:2222/CMD_ADMIN_SETTINGS, I added
Hostname: vps.websiteserver.com
NS1: websiteserver.com
NS2: websiteserver.com

At the Registrar:
1. I will assign my vps ip address, 198.55.101.90, to the A record for ALL my domain names
For example, I will update newdomainname.com, anotherdomainname.com, and other domains with
NS1: websiteserver.com 200.55.101.01
NS2: websiteserver.com

Question: Do I leave the ns2 ip field blank? Or do I add the same 200.55.101.01 into the ns2 ip address field?

My goal is to use ns1/ns2 websiteserver.com as the custom nameservers for ALL of my domains DNS to manage all the records. I want to ensure that I can send and receive mail using this custom nameserver for ALL of my domains.

If what you're saying is that you use the same physical nameserver for both ns1 and ns2 logical nameservers, and you only have one IP#.

If that's so, then you should use the same IP# for both.

Note these issues:

Some TLDs won't allow your setup to be used for their authoritative DNS.

Anyone who checks dns (from any popular DNS checking site) will get an error or warning.

You don't have redundancy in your DNS.

All, some, or none of these, may be important to you.

Jeff

Jeff

Back