Exim filter disregards aliases of domain owner

rickross

I believe there's a minor flaw in how DA manages the exim filter in conjunction with SpamAssassin and aliases/forwarders.

The DA filter template only checks whether the $local_part is the same as the DA domain owner, and it will place detected spam into the domain owners proper Maildir if a match is found.

It does not, however, check for aliases of the domain owner, so it deliver spam addressed to such aliases into directories of non-existent email users within the domain's imap directory. This spam can never be checked or cleaned out by the real recipient.

I think the template "filter_userspamfolder" should be modified to do a lookup of whether $local_part is aliased to the domain owner, rather than just checking whether it is literally the same as the domain owner. That way, detected spams for aliases of the domain owner would get placed into the correct Maildir.

I'm no exim scripter, but I think the check should be something like:

Code:
if
    ${lookup{$local_part}lsearch{/etc/virtual/${domain}/aliases}} is "|USERNAME|"
then

rather than

Code:
if
    $local_part is "|USERNAME|"
then

Of course, if it were really proper it would check for the existence of the aliases file before trying to search in it, but the basic idea is the same. As it is, the current script shunts spam email for domain owner aliases into a place where it really can't be managed. I just discovered thousands of emails like this and had to work backwards to understand how they got there.

Rick

Last edited:
Back