Best practice on backups

bareare

Verified User
Hi

I'm new to DA and are trying to set up a backup job.

However, there are two different backup options in admin area, one "admin backup" and one "system backup".

I have a system that logs in and collect all files in a dir and want all files (home dir, their mail, databases, account settings and so on).

What backup option do I choose?

I see that system backup creates a folder for the current day. Does it delete the old backup when it creates a new backup next day?

"Admin backup/transfer" for user backups, "System backup" for configuration files. "Admin backup/transfer" overwrites backups (when the new ones are created). You can set up it to upload backups to different directories every week-day. E.g. monday's backups go to "monday" directory, tuesday's to "tuesday" directory etc.

Will the admin backup include users databases and mail? Just so that I can do a full restore of users data.

If I loose the settings (for instance mysql settings, php settings and such) doesn't matter I think.

I have set up "Admin Backup/Transfer" as cron in DA, however, it doesn't create any crontab entry on the system. Is this normal?

Back