Migrating from Plesk Discussion

Any update on this script ? I have a plesk 8.6 server that had been great to migrate to DA

It it possible to gather the email passwords from Plesk in cleartext so I could manually type them in on the new server ? If that it possible I could do it all manually since I only got around 100 accounts to convert.

You could ask on a Plesk forum to find out whether or not Plesk stores any passwords in plaintext. Linux and Unix do not.

Jeff

Glad my question could start such a productive ball rolling :)

We are now in the process of setting up secondary servers in a second Data Center to mirror our existing servers. More than ever I would like to convert all machines to DA, but I lack the knowledge necessary to do so. These conversions would be clean installs with no previous domains/users, so what is being described here would most likely be very helpful.

Thanks! Look forward to seeing if this becomes a reality.

Wow!! - I could sure use a Plesk 8.X to DirectAdmin migration script right about now. I am about to take over 5 Plesk servers loaded with 200 websites each and they work fine but they sure are a lot of work as compared to my good old trusted DirectAdmin servers.

I manually did a big Plesk to DirectAdmin Migration in 2005 and it nearly killed me - how can Plesk make things so complicated and pretend it is good for you? The move/migration was worth the effort - I went from a state of constant worry and over work to relaxing without any of those Plesk related headaches haunting me 24 hours a day. It was as liberating as moving from Modernbill to WHMCS.

Please somebody get this done - a legion of trapped Plesk users would thank you for ever if there was a clean move script from Plesk to DirectAdmin. I'd pay money for it.

Earendil please share that code with John at DirectAdmin so that you don't need to support it. I am sure John can take whatever you've done, rationalize it and pump out a great migration script for everyone's benefit.

Currently Plesk->cPanel->DirectAdmin is the easiest way to do the migration :)

smtalk,

please explain in detail. I imagine cPanel has an import script from Plesk but does DirectAdmin have an import script from cPanel? I don't have a cPanel server handy to act as the intermediate medium.

Last edited:
Hi SMtalk,.

Man,. how come I never thought of that method. Great thinking.

What tool are you using to convert Plesk to Cpanel ?

WHM has an integrated "Copy multiple accounts/packages from another server" tool which lets you select Plesk. If you do not have a cPanel server, I can do the conversation and send you DirectAdmin-ready backups.

smtalk,

are you still interested in helping by converting Plesk 9.5 sites to a Directadmin backup format? That would be awesome. The Directadmin backups restore so nicely.

Please contact me ASAP - I have inherited several Plesk servers and want to convert them all to DirectAdmin.

I don't mind paying for the service. It would save me untold hours of manual, brow sweating, labor.

smtalk,

are you still interested in helping by converting Plesk 9.5 sites to a Directadmin backup format? That would be awesome. The Directadmin backups restore so nicely.

Please contact me ASAP - I have inherited several Plesk servers and want to convert them all to DirectAdmin.

I don't mind paying for the service. It would save me untold hours of manual, brow sweating, labor.

We recently did some plesk to DA migrations. It took some time but we got it down, if you need a hand, contact me.

You know you just replied to a signature spammer?

I've deleted jkdsfww's post; it's probably spam, though if it is it was probably done manually.

Jeff

Back